Forum rules - please read before posting.

NullReferenceException and can't assign speakers in the new timeline integration.

Hey all,

I can't see what dialogue is being said in the editor and keep getting this in my console:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
AC.MenuPreview.SetPreviewSpeech (AC.Speech speech, System.Int32 trackInstanceID) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Menu/MenuPreview.cs:229)
AC.SpeechPlayableBehaviour.ProcessFrame (UnityEngine.Playables.Playable playable, UnityEngine.Playables.FrameData info, System.Object playerData) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Speech/Timeline/SpeechPlayableBehaviour.cs:91)

I also can't assign speaker. The player can be assigned by ticking "Is Player" but I cannot put anything in the box and when I open it located a gameobject the selection field is completely blank.

Anyone else having this issue?

Comments

• Sorry I put this in the wrong section!

• I can't see what dialogue is being said in the editor and keep getting this in my console:

The error suggests its unable to create a preview speech menu. You need to make sure that the name of the Subtitles menu you want to preview with is entered into your Speech Manager's Subtitle preview menu field.

This error message will show if it's empty, or set to a non-existant menu name. I will fix this bug and replace it with a more detailed warning message, but a name will still need to be set.

I also can't assign speaker. The player can be assigned by ticking "Is Player" but I cannot put anything in the box and when I open it located a gameobject the selection field is completely blank.

This is the Speaker prefab field? What GameObject are you trying to assign? Bear in mind that it only accepts prefabs - scene-based characters cannot be assigned.

• Thanks so much that fixed it!

As for the defining the character I did have it as a prefab but I was dragging it from the scene view and not the project window. Thanks man!