Forum rules - please read before posting.

Simple Player Highlighting

I've read everything the related tags brought me and still couldn't find a solution.

What I want to do is quite simple: Player steps in circle, becomes reddish, steps out, back to his usual hue.

I tried using the highlight script in the sprite inside the Character GameObject, but either I'd screw the object by dismantling it so I could put it (the sprite with highlite script) inside the Highlight action inside the trigger, or then it would just not work. Believe me when I say I tried many different solutions before asking, either I'm missing something obvious or this is simply not a feature. Also, for some reason I can't choose color highlights at all, only make it brighter...

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @jsnetors.

As you mention sprites, I'm assuming that yours is a 2D game.

The Highlight component is intended for the auto-brightening of Hotspots when selected by the player - not for general use on scene objects.

To change the colour of your character according to their position in the scene, you have a couple of options:

1. Use a Tint Map, i.e. a graphic that overlays your background sprite, to describe what colour the sprite should be tinted by. See the Manual's "Tint maps" chapter for more, as well as this tutorial.
    2. Create Animations on a sub-layer of your character's Animator Controller, that control the Sprite Renderer's Color property, and then control playback of those animations using the Character: Animate Action attached to Triggers in the scene.
  • Thank you for your support Chris. I was just starting and had trouble wraping my head around TintMaps. I know they're simple to use but for some reason they just seemed a little bit alien to me until I tried to implement then and now I know better. Sorry for the dumb question. This is a great engine!