Forum rules - please read before posting.

Pause game when Steam Overlay is active

Is this a function AC has built in somewhere?

Comments

• To pause the game - yes. Integrated with Steam - no.

AC can be paused/resumed in two ways via script. One is to simply pause the game manually:

AC.KickStarter.mainCamera.PauseGame (); // Pause
    AC.KickStarter.stateHandler.RestoreLastNonPausedState (); // Resume

The other, which may be more appropriate, is to turn on your "Pause" menu (if you have one) so that the user can resume the game themselves:

AC.PlayerMenus.GetMenuWithName ("Pause").TurnOn ();

As for calling this when Steam Overlay is active, you'll need to make use of a script/system that provides a hook for such an event. This one looks promising.

• edited September 2019

Great, I'll look into that. Just came to mind, and it might be a bit ham-fisted, but couldn't I just make an input of Shift + Tab to bring up the Pause menu?

• So I'm putting in your code for this function but it's not pausing the game. Anything I'm missing?

This is the full script:

using System.Collections;
    using Steamworks;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using UnityEngine;

public class SteamScript : MonoBehaviour
    {
    protected Callback m_GameOverlayActivated;

private void OnEnable()
    {
        if (SteamManager.Initialized)
        {
            m_GameOverlayActivated = Callback<GameOverlayActivated_t>.Create(OnGameOverlayActivated);
        }
    }

private void OnGameOverlayActivated(GameOverlayActivated_t pCallback)
    {
        if (pCallback.m_bActive != 0)
        {
            AC.KickStarter.mainCamera.PauseGame(); // Pause
            Debug.Log("Steam Overlay has been activated");
        }
        else
        {
            AC.KickStarter.stateHandler.RestoreLastNonPausedState(); // Resume
            Debug.Log("Steam Overlay has been closed");
        }
    }

// Start is called before the first frame update
    void Start()
    {
        if (SteamManager.Initialized)
        {
            string name = SteamFriends.GetPersonaName();
            Debug.Log(name);
        }
    }

// Update is called once per frame
    void Update()
    {

}

}

• Are the Debug logs showing in the Console? I can't tell if this is due to your Steam integration, or AC, otherwise.

• edited September 2019

Also just added using AC; since it didn't have it, but that did not help either.

btw - this will be needed for anybody releasing an AC game on steam since its a requirement for certification (as I understand it) that bringing up the Steam Overlay must pause the game.

• At what point are you testing the overlay? During gameplay?

Try this code instead - it's safer than the above, since it should also work if the game is paused - and also turn off AC completely:

// Pause
    KickStarter.sceneSettings.PauseGame ();
    KickStarter.TurnOffAC ();

// Resume
    KickStarter.sceneSettings.UnpauseGame (1f);
    KickStarter.TurnOnAC ();

Failing that, try the method of turning on the Pause menu - fare any better?

• I will try the new code.

I tried the pause menu code, but that didn't work. I am trying ingame, unfortunately you cannot test the overlay from the unity, have to upload a build to Steam, so its always a faff to test.

I almost suspect that its this part that isn't working - hooking into the Overlay activation if (pCallback.m_bActive != 0)

Do you have some simple code (maybe non AC based to be safe) which prints a message onscreen I could throw in there to test?

• Sorry, I can't debug non-AC code. Debug.Log statements should still show up in your Player log file, however.

• If I'm running my game from Steam, are these player log files still created and visible? Since this can only be tested from Steam.

• Tried the new bit of code. Didn't work (or wasnt triggered I guess).

There must be so many ppl on this forum who have had to do this before for their own releases. It's a real shame the culture on here is that everyone just waits for you to answer instead of helping out when they can as well.

• Well this is a dead end for me then.

I'm trying a different way where if I push shift and tab then the game will pause, for now I'm just trying to get a console or screen readout.

``using System.Collections;
    using System.Collections.Generic;
    using UnityEngine;

public class LShiftandTabPausing : MonoBehaviour
    {

bool LShiftandTab = false;

// Start is called before the first frame update
    void Start()
    {

void LShiftTabPause()

{
            if (LShiftandTab == false && Input.GetKey("left shift") && Input.GetKey("tab"))
            {
                LShiftandTab = true;
                print("Pressed keys down");
            }
            else if (LShiftandTab == true && (Input.GetKey("left shift") == false || Input.GetKey("tab") == false))
            {
                LShiftandTab = false;
                print("Released one of the keys");
            }
        }

// Update is called once per frame
        void Update()
        {

}
    }

}``

I have this script in a gameObject, but when using Object:SendMessage, which I trigger from an Active Input, and calling the LShiftTabPause function, I get this error:

SendMessage LShiftTabPause has no receiver!

At a loss here.

• If I'm running my game from Steam, are these player log files still created and visible?

I believe so.

SendMessage LShiftTabPause has no receiver!

You may need to make the LShiftTabPause function public. An alternative would be to use Object: Call event, used to call this function (also public) when attached to a prefab asset file.

I wouldn't recommend calling a function that reads Input from an Active Input, though. Better to just run the code in the Update loop - but we're getting away from anything AC-related here.

• For the information of others:

It appears that the original issue I was having is a problem with the current Steamworks.net wrapper and which I had firstt should have worked. Someone here is having the same issue: https://github.com/rlabrecque/Steamworks.NET/issues/303?fbclid=IwAR2JfY_3SPAEitC4zICK-kqU8FVcXaoYvCdjPCMQo4nYUta7aCYbsyBZ1SA

Hopefully this gets resolved by steamworks.net soon.