Forum rules - please read before posting.

Problems with custom actions/animations

Hello, good night... I'm having a little bit of trouble trying to implement a custom action in the game.

1. In this game, the character has the ability of praying to interact with the world, more specifically to avoid hazards. I don't know what's the best way to implement that, but the way I choose to try it is to make a cutscene that is triggered whenever the game needs it. This cutscene is supposed to turn the PC to the player (idle_D) and then trigger a praying animation (pray_D) that will roll until the QTE sequence ends.

2. I did just that, and it worked just like it should, except for a bug(?) that moves the player to a weird position the moment that the praying animation is called. First I thought that playing an animation would finish the pathfinding route that the trigger stopped. Then I built a button that positions the player to a marker before calling the cutscene, and yet it still happens.

So there we are. I'm not sure if I'm doing it the dumb way or if there's something I forgot to do. The pivots are all in place and all...

There's a video showcasing the problem, it was posted in the official Discord Server:

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/444172285784358914/622595307141726218/2019-09-14_21-24-41.mp4

Comments

• The video shows the issue you describe in text, but doesn't share any details of your game's settings.

How are you turning the Player? With the Character: Face direction Action? Let's see some shots of the Interaction ActionList in question, the Hotspot Inspector, and the Player's Inspector. Please also share your AC and Unity version numbers.

It appears that they end up in a different position each time - so it's likely dependent on the direction they were moving first. You could try beginning the ActionList with a Character: Move along path Action and set the Method to Stop moving.

• Hello Chris!

I deleted everything and started from scratch in case I had meddled with something that I shouldn't. Everything from the map to the player character was done in a fresh project and the problem persisted but changed a bit. Now it works sometimes, but other times it doesn't. Here's a video showing what's going on now plus the screencaps you asked, looks like the distance or position to the hotspot has something to do with that.

I'll try applying your suggestions to see if something changes. Thank you for your continued support!

Both Unity and AC are up to date

• edited September 2019

UPDATE - I made an Active Input to trigger the custom animation anytime and did lots of testing. It doesn't matter which Custom Animation I play from it, the player moves a little in the direction he was moving before I press the button.

Even when I set the 'only move played when animation plays' option on, the player still does a small jump before playing the animation.

• Sorry for posting again but I have to say that I fixed it by turning off Retro-Style Movement.

• edited September 2019

Sorry, but it doesn't look like you're up to date with AC. Please be specific about both your Unity and AC version numbers.

I cannot recreate this behaviour with the current release. If you re-enable "Retro-Style movement", does it work if you alternatively check Wait until finish? in the Character: Face direction Action?