Forum rules - please read before posting.

OnStart not working in Loading Scene

Unity 2018.3.6f1 Personal
AC v1.66.7

I have a Loading Scene and that displays just fine. I am not trying to get a small bit of movement going when activated but having trouble getting OnStart (which in my case is called Loading anim - tried with the OnStart naiming convention but that makes no difference to result) to run.

Running the scene, it just don't run automatically. Pressing Run in the ActionList works however. Have I missed a something to get it running right away?

Comments

• OnStart/OnLoad cutscenes do not get called in Loading screens, because they will not be guaranteed to complete by the time the next scene has loaded.

There's no need for a Cutscene in the case of your above Actions, though. An Animator that plays a loop scaling animation can do the same thing.

• edited September 2019

So I've made an animator with a scaling loop on the words and that looks good when running the Loading scene. However, when running another scene and the loading scene displays when needed, the animation is not running. The words are still.

• edited September 2019

You can try enabling asynchronous loading in the Settings Manager, but otherwise this is likely Unity's own behaviour. Perhaps tinkering with the Animator's Update Mode may help.

• righto, I'll have a look. Is this happening because this is a special Loading page?

• I suspect it's because Unity's busy loading the new scene.

• Not having any joy with it. So is not being able to have animated loading screens a Unity or AC limitation?

It would be a great feature to have in AC if possible in the future.

• I did Scene:Switch:Preload scene on the scene before, but that didn't help either.

• Like I said, I don't believe this is AC-related.

Scene preloading the next scene will have no effect if loading scenes are involved.

• oh well, thanks anyway.

• Try setting a non-zero Delay before and after (s) value, and remove AC's GameEngine from the loading scene since it'll add unnecessary overhead. This works for me.

• Nice find. That works a bit. The animation still freezes a bit in the middle, then carries on. But it does animate now. I'm guessing Unity is struggling doing 2 things at once here.

Any way to streamline/slim the load of the loading animation more?
    Its only 4 seconds long and its just the word "loading" scaling up a bit then back down.

• The animation itself isn't going to be an issue, but I think this is indeed a case of it having to handle two things at once.

This is purely to do with Unity now, though, so I can't suggest any more.

• No worries. you helped loads already :smile: