Forum rules - please read before posting.

AC won't work on my Unity 2019.x

I tried Adventure Creator on both 2019.1 and 2019.2 but on both installs I can't get it to work.

It does work on 2018.4 though.

I am under the impression that others are using AC on the 2019.x installs, and I am not sure where and how to start troubleshooting this since I am quite new to unity. In fact, I only started with Unity because of Adventure Creator.

Does anyone use AC with 2019.x on Linux btw?

Where do I need to look to start investigating this?

Comments

• Welcome to the community, @Fedor. I apologise that your first steps with AC have been troublesome.

AC doesn't officially support Linux, but there's not anything specifically that I'm aware of that should prevent it from being usable. If there's an exact issue (e.g. an error message in the Console) that hinders usage, let me know and I'll see if a workaround is possible.

As for 2019.x, there shouldn't be any issue with the latest official Unity releases - 2019.3 is still in beta, but earlier editions should be fine.

What is the actual issue you're having? Errors in the Console? What platform are you working on?

Once AC is succesfully installed, a new "Adventure Creator" item will appear in the top toolbar. Is this the case, and/or is the "AdventureCreator" folder appearing in your Assets directory?

The more detail you can share about the exact nature of the problem, the better I can try to help.

• Hi Chris,
    First of all, I am able to enjoy AC in 2018.4 - and I am having fun with it. Only because of other stuff requiring newer versions, I one day hope to be able to upgrade Unity.

The problem in 2019.x is that the new "Adventure Creator" item does not appear in the toolbar. There is one single error message in the console, which is empty. No text, just a time stamp.

And the AdventureCreator" folder is in the asset directory.

• Does this error message have a red symbol beside it to denote it's an "Error" in the Unity sense?

And is this upon importing AC into an otherwise empty Unity project, or are you upgrading your existing 2018.4 project into the newer version of Unity?

If Unity has a script compilation error (wherever this may be from), then add-on scripts that add items to the toolbar will be ignored until the error is resolved. I suspect that if you imported a different asset that had custom toolbar items, they too would not appear.

That the message has no text suggests that this is an issue with Unity, and also makes it difficult to track the source of. If you're importing an existing project, I would recommend trying to install AC fresh into a new project and see how that fares.

• Hi Chris,

It is an error with a red symbol indeed.

The empty error appears when importing AC in a new project in 2019.2

No other assets, or anything else, was imported or created in the new project. The AC asset was the first thing I did after creating the project.

• I use 2019.1.6 and it works.

• edited October 2019

Thanks for the clarification.

I can't reproduce such an issue, but searching the Unity forums for reports of similar issues suggests that this is indeed an issue with Unity.

This thread in particular offers a few potential workarounds:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/four-blank-errors-in-each-new-project.599980/

There's a few suggestions that seem to give users success: changing the scripting backend, installing the windows update, and disabling compatibility mode. Do any work for you? It may be, however, that Unity themselves need to be made aware of this issue via an official bug report.

• @BigW ...on Linux?

@Chris: I'll try those suggestion... and let you know

• This is another thread on the same topic, but specifically for Linux users:
    https://forum.unity.com/threads/empty-error-in-console.509173/

• I have tested all suggestions in the two threads, but no result.

I also tested the 2019.3 beta, and in that one AC seems to be working. There are a lot of other errors and warnings, but they don't interfere with AC as far as I can see.

Since AC does work with 2018.4 - which is a LTS - I am not in a hurry and will wait to see how 2019.3 will develop. But the current state is good news I think.

Tomorrow the new Ubuntu version is planned, I 'll have a look to see if that helps.

• Fingers crossed. Thanks for the update.