Forum rules - please read before posting.

Best way to implement hidden conversation options and ActionList editor improvements

edited October 2019 in Technical Q&A

Hello!

I have a question. In a dialogue I have a conversation with multiple options. I want some of the options to be hidden at the start of the dialogue and make them appear after the player chose one of the available options first.
So at the moment I toogle the hidden options off before I start the conversation. Then I use the toggle on forever to turn them on and overwrite the toggle off. But now I have the problem that I cannot turn them off again after the player is done with them, because toggle off forever does not overwrite toggle on forever.
Any idea how I can start conversation options toggled off, toggle them on in the dialogue and toggle them off again without using parameters or variables?

Second, I spend a lot of time in the ActionList editor, creating dialogue trees and stuff. Although everything works fine, using the editor does not feel very satisfying. So I have a couple of ideas for look and feel improvements:
1. middle mouse button pan should be inverted to make it natural (pull mouse up to move down)
2. there should be an infinite canvas. Or at least actions at the border of the canvas should extend the canvas quite a bit. Right now you cannot move past actions that are placed at the border of the canvas. And it makes scroll/pan stop unexpectedly, which makes it feel clunky.
3. moving actions extends the canvas. Pulling new ones from the output of the action before does not. Pasting copied actions does not either. So when you have an action at the border of the canvas and you pull/paste a new one, they end up overlapping. You have to reposition them manually and scroll/pan to adjust the "camera" each time. That is a little annoying.
4. Rectangular selections to select multiple actions make the whole thing lag.
5. Maybe add ctrl+c/v support to copy or paste actions?
6. you cannot connect actions that are more than one screen apart, because if you pull the connection line and pan/scroll, the connection line disappears. So you have to drag actions across the whole canvas to a point where they do not belong just to connect them.
7. Adding a parameter to an Actionlist creates the "set parameter" option in all the existing Actionlists and sets the parameters to false wherever the Actionlist is called automatically. I do not think that should happen. Setting parameters should alway be done manually, otherwise you end up with unexpected behaviour. Or at least there should be a no change option to choose which parameters you want to set and which ones you want to leave untouched.
8. Auto arrange sometimes (not always, not sure when it happens) creates a mess when there are lots of loop backs. I think Actions should stay close to the place where they are called the first time, and not moved far away.

Comments

• Any idea how I can start conversation options toggled off, toggle them on in the dialogue and toggle them off again without using parameters or variables?

You can hide an option by default by unchecking Is enabled? in the Conversation Inspector. You shouldn't have to use "Turn On Forever" to show them when desired - "Turn On" should be enough here.

middle mouse button pan should be inverted to make it natural (pull mouse up to move down)

You can invert panning from the top of the Actions Manager.

Adding a parameter to an Actionlist creates the "set parameter" option in all the existing Actionlists and sets the parameters to false wherever the Actionlist is called automatically. I do not think that should happen.

Agreed, I shall look into this.

As for the others, thanks for the feedback, I shall take them into account.

• Thanks a lot, that was just the information I needed :smile: