Forum rules - please read before posting.

Possible bug: Preloading two scenes prevents scene change

edited November 2019 in Technical Q&A

I discovered that If I preload a scene, then don't load that scene but instead preload another scene, it prevents the loading of any scenes. In other words, if I preload more than one scene, it's impossible to change scenes. It's also not possible to load another scene that has not been preloaded. If only one scene can be preloaded at any time, maybe it's possible to unload any current preloaded scenes somehow?

Latest AC, Unity 2018.4.

EDIT: This is with Load Scenes Asynchronously ON. If I turn it off, it doesn't say if new scenes are loading in the Hierarchy, but maybe it still is loading behind the scenes?

Comments

• Scene preloading is only possible if asynchronous loading is enabled - you should get a Console warning if this is attempted otherwise.

I shall attempt a recreation of the original bug, thanks for the details.

• Recreated, but I'm not sure fixable as this seems to be down to Unity.

It's not possible to “cancel” a preloaded scene, nor load another one before a preloaded scene is opened. I think it has to be a case of just being careful, I'm afraid.

• Ah, I see. That rules out potential preloading in scenes with multiple pathways to other scenes. Probably possible to work around with non-skippable actionlists with triggers and walk to markers, but as you said, important to be careful so you don't accidentally load a scene that you don't know you will load eventually.