Forum rules - please read before posting.

How are variables stored?

Hi,

I want to update my game and add a few variables for a new section. My question is, if I add these variables will it mess up the other variables already in there if a player updates the game and loads a save file of a game already in progress? That is, are variables read in an ordered list so that new variables offset the old ones (which can cause variables to be mismatched if loading a save game that was started before the game got updated) or are they read as a key value pair, i.e. using variable ID as a lookup, which would make the variable always be referenced in the same way regardless of new ones being added. I have a feeling it's the latter, but I just wanted to confirm this is the case.

Thanks!

Comments

• edited November 2019

are they read as a key value pair, i.e. using variable ID as a lookup

Correct. You can add new variables and still have compatibility with existing save files.

As these new variable values won't be changed upon loading an old save file, though, I would recommend testing the effects of this before pushing out such an update.