Forum rules - please read before posting.

[Wishlist] Add per-component contextual Forced execution for ActionLists/Hotspot actions (debug)

edited December 2019 in Engine development

Hi there!

Maybe I didn't find the option but this one seems pretty fast to implement, and absolutely optional:

when running a game, allow an actionlist/cutscene/hotspot action to be forcefully executed from the inspector via the cog Icon:

Sometimes you're building a puzzle and, well, you may want to just trigger the action consequences or a particular cutscene, just to speed up debugging and testing it.

(sure, there are other ways to do that, but this one feels pretty straightforward and useful. Definitely more subtle than an "execute now" button which only appears in the editor in play mode)

Comments

• Likely not, I'd say. There is a "Run now" button already in the Inspector, and I'd prefer to only have context menu items that show when appropriate. AFAIK it's not possible to limit an item's display to just Play Mode.

• I see, I completely overlooked at those buttons.

As a UI feedback, I've never ever used (or felt the need to use) the first 2 (expand/collapse), while I often use the Actionlist editor button, that I personally would put on a single line alone instead of 3rd in a row.

Since most of my work so far has been at edit time only, the Run Now was barely visible to me (especially with the dark theme), to the point of totally ignoring it, even clicking right on the button on its left.

I see your point, yet, personal preference, I'd rather find it in a well-know position than looking inside the body of the component itself.

for those interested here's what I added in ActionList.cs:

#if UNITY_EDITOR
        [UnityEditor.MenuItem("CONTEXT/ActionList/Force Run")]
        public static void ForceInteract(UnityEditor.MenuCommand menuCommand)
        {
            var _actionList = menuCommand.context as ActionList;

if (_actionList != null)
                _actionList.Interact();
        }
        #endif