Forum rules - please read before posting.

Question on 2d head animation

Hi everyone,
AC 1.70.0 + Unity 2019.2.17f1 on a 2d game.

A question on 2d head animation: I'd like to add more expressions on my character when he talks. For example I'd like he talks happy, angry, and so on. I'm using Sprites Unity, but what are the correct steps to make it? Have I to separate the head (using 2d head animation) and create every animation for the eight positions (D, DL, and so on) for every expressions (happy, angry, etc)? In this case isn't a little bit weight to load all this animations for the main character (8x5 expressions = 40 animations of the head)? and how can I tell to AC to use a specific animation to talk?

My basic idea was to use this tutorial: https://www.adventurecreator.org/tutorials/changing-expressions-when-characters-speak not for portraits but for the talking animation in game: is this the correct way or is there some other workaround?

Thank you very much.

Comments

• When using Sprites Unity, there does exist a Head on separate layer? option, which allows you to animate the head separately to the body. However, this is limited to head turning and talking animations.

For control over expressions as well, it'll be much easier in the long run to switch to Sprites Unity Complex. In Sprites Unity, you could feasibly change the character's "Standard animation" names as they change expression, but these names are the same for both body and head - meaning you'll have to duplicate the "normal" body animations for each expression as well.

With Sprites Unity Complex, however, animation is controlled via parameter values. You can define an "Expression ID" integer parameter that is updated when the character's expression changes.

Example prefabs of a Player character that uses an independent head for animation (both SU and SUC) can be found on the Downloads page.