Forum rules - please read before posting.

Trigger an event through actionlist

edited February 2020 in Technical Q&A

Hi,

I'm trying to trigger the event OnChangeHotspot through an actionlist, but I obviously don't have something setup properly.

I have an actionlist to check when a certain inventory item is selected. When it is selected I want the event OnHotspotSelected to run as I have another script that listens for when this is called to highlight an object. I'm trying to do this through a custom action. In my custom action script I'm trying to run EventManager.Call_OnChangeHotspot(hotspot, true);

hotspot is a public variable I defined earlier so I can drag in any hotspot to the component and "true" is just telling OnChangeHotspot to run OnHotspotSelect. However, I get an error saying "An object reference is required for the non-static field, method, or property 'EventManager.Call_OnChangeHotspot(Hotspot, bool)' "

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong here. I don't think OnChangeHotspot requires a listener since it's just telling OnHotspotSelected to run, but I feel like I'm overlooking something pretty obvious. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• The error is describing the problem: you're calling a non-static method as though it were static.

See the front page of the Scripting Guide. All non-static component functions can be accessed via their associated KickStarter static variable.

Try this instead:

AC.KickStarter.eventManager.Call_OnChangeHotspot (hotspot, true);

• Thank you, Chris! That works.