Forum rules - please read before posting.

Running any use action-list from an inventory item will pause the game

Hi,
I Am working on a game that uses only the keyboard/controller. As of right now whenever the inventory is open, the game pauses, even if I have the 'pause gameplay while open' unchecked in the menu options. This is weird, but manageable.

However the real issue is when I press 'E' on a inventory item to 'use' it and thus fire off the 'use' action-list attached to that item, it runs the action-list but then pauses the game. the only way I can un-pause it is by pressing 'i' to open the inventory again then pressing 'i' to manually close the inventory.

Is there a way to run these inventory 'use' action-lists with a keystroke that will: close the inventory, run the action-list then just allow you to continue with the game without having to reopen and re-close the inventory?

Any help here would be appreciated.

https://imgur.com/a/eonYnNS

Comments

• The 'Close menu' action-list will remove the inventory, but keep the game paused, same with the 'lock menu' action-list.

• What are your AC and Unity versions, and does the game state switch to "Cutscene" mode while the ActionList itself is running, or does it remain in "Pause" mode? You can view the current game state at runtime by enabling the AC Status box at the bottom of the Settings Manager?

the game pauses, even if I have the 'pause gameplay while open' unchecked in the menu options. This is weird, but manageable.

Unless enforced through custom script, the game should only ever become paused due to the enabling of a "pause" menu. If it's not the Inventory menu, I'd guess that some other menu is also opening at this time and is pausing the instead.

A quick hack to find out if this is the case would be to open up AC's PlayerMenus.cs script, and find the function named "ArePauseMenusOn". Just above the "return true;" line, insert the following:

Debug.Log ("Game is paused due to " + allMenus[i].title + " being on.");

That should list the offending Menu in the Console.

It may well be that this is the underlying cause of the issue, if closing the Inventory menu also closes this one. Try the above and let's see what the result is.

• OMG Thank you so much Chris!

The solution was that it in-fact opened 2 versions of the inventory menu, but one of them didnt have a canvas so wasnt showing up visually.
    I should have posted way sooner, would have saved hours of frustration. haha

Thanks again!