Forum rules - please read before posting.

Mein Kampf

I keep champing at the bit to make something, so I'll get one of those kits.. then go on GiTHub and Asset store. Now back to AC. The Scripts from GitHub.. you'll think it a gold mine..but they often blow up, full of errors, wrong version of Unity.. I wrestled the last 24 hours with trigger scripts. AC has them already made, and it all works with each other! Now I am back .. following along with the Demo. The thing is, Chris says.."it will not make fighting games." Well.. how many games will I actually make? Look at novel authors. Few of them make more than say, 20 novels in their lifetime. I've owned AC for years, and I keep switching back and forth.. it's making me lose ground, big time. I look ate the Horror Kits on Asset store..thinking they can do more than Adventure Creator. There is so MUCH stuff, so many alternatives, it slows me down as I explore them. Keeps throwing me off of the trail.

Comments

• edited March 2020

Yeah, I guess most of us can relate to that. I've bought quite a few kits from the Asset Store over the years, as well as making my own (workable, but not very professional) Game Template. I've also started a load of Projects using the various tools over the years, but it's always a struggle, whatever tool you're using, to actually FINISH one

Nowadays I've stopped buying kits. Most of them hold out promises that they rarely fulfill. I stick with AC. It's not QUITE what I want, out of the box (I'd prefer something a bit more RPG-ey), but it's flexible and endlessly extensible, and the level of support is phenomenal. I'm sure that with a bit of creative effort it could even be used to make fighting games

The important thing, though, is that you've got to start a Project and then find a way to maintain enthusiasm for it through the endless vicissitudes that beset every such venture: things not working in ways you WANT them to work, things working in ways you DON'T want them to work, things not working at ALL, etc etc

I maintain my enthusiasm by trying to keep each Project's scope small and achievable, but then fortunately I'm doing this stuff mainly just for my own enjoyment, so there's no pressure to hit milestones, release products, and make money. That all puts a WHOLE different perspective on things

• that's it Harry. I study Blender, and other tools. Worried about bandwidth on the games. I was just on asset store checking out the Visual Scripting tools that are coming out, since I like AC's so much. I worry that Playmaker (which I've also owned for years) will be laggy. I have to put a set of blinders on myself and keep watching Chris' tutorials, and follow along. AC seems to have everything you need, and it all works together well. No.. "are you missing a assembly reference?" etc. I also have TyranoBuilder, which I've made things with. I get distracted.

• I understand the feeling, and the struggle to finish something is also real.
    The drive to finish it dwindles (specially midway when you don't see an end in sight).
    For years I've been working on and off on a story that I've created on my mind when I was 15 (though today is totally different), it helps to have a bunch of music I've created at that time, and rewatching evangelion (that heavily influenced my game), to find out again why I started the project in the first place.
    Sometimes the only thing needed to have motivation is defeat that 15 minute mental barrier and just work through it, to end up working for hours. Is a good thing to start the session with a ToDo list, so it gives to kickstart and stop just moving around stuff for hours, while giving you that dopamine hit when you scratch off an item of the list.

Adventure Creator is an awesome tool, it has a nice balance between "ready to go" actions while still being open enough to create a bunch of different interactions, which also takes into account expanding it.
    And I think it's the right way to go, having a "do everything" asset will eventually be a "do nothing/black box" asset (hell, you can see on the character controllers in the asset store, none of them feel AAA quality, or even as good as the default UE third person template).
    Even then AC is one of the few assets that let you use PnC, 3D FP, 3D TP, it's quite something.
    AC is the first asset I import in any narrative project I want to create, it gives you the tools to have dialogues, hotspots, menus, save system, and a rock solid workflow to start creating right away (sometimes I get ideas just browsing the different actions).
    I have other tools, and looked at others, some of them are great, but still feel more constrictive than AC, and it'll be just an excuse to procastinate more.

• haha that's what I do. I'm like a beagle chasing rabbits. There's the new GoDot engine, people are saying dump Unity. I am always learning new jargon.."serializer".. "code injection".. I get far, far off of the beat. Far away from the original idea I had, which is to make a mystery game. I hardly ever think about what I want to DO. One thing, Chris' Web tutorials are better than the video. Why? He moves too fast or too slow, and the dark interface it is hard to tell where he's at. The web pages aren't up to date. I like these better, if there are enough graphics.

• I think I can do O.K. with just the 'stock' Adventure Creator. Rather than building the perfect beast. Other distractions have been the graphics. Learning Makehuman and blender to get characters I want. Sweet Home 3D and importation into blender. I go off on time consuming adventures.