Forum rules - please read before posting.

Request More Web Based tutorials

The video is good, but the black is hard to see.. I keep rewinding over and over again as you switch from AC menu to the INspector. I like the Web based tutorials but they are a bit out of date. Sometimes the narrative is slow..but then suddenly, it moves along swiftly, and I'll lose it in the turn. I want to get certain things just burned into my mind.. creating interactions, the menu system, for example. Many Web based tutorials do this. They use the hard to see black background.

Comments

• What "black" are you referring to? The Unity dark skin?

What exactly are you looking for help with? Please note that the Manual details all of AC's features as well.

• ya the Unity dark skin.

• I hit on the idea of using the Windows Magnifier as I toggle back and forth between my project and the vid as I follow the demo. Well, the dark skin it is still blurry and I have to peer at it. I installed a Odin serializer from GitHub and it messed things up so I had to rebuild. I dont even know what the serializer does, but everyone says it is great.

• There's no need for custom serialization with AC, unless you have special requirements. If you're not sure what it's for, I'd recommend leaving that out.

Which tutorial are you referring to? If you can share more about what workflow specifically you're having trouble with, I can help to elaborate on them here.

• I messed up the INventory box. I was on the 'custom inventory' section. I deleted,and tried to rebuild it. The "sword' icons were far too large.. so I just started over. I think Odin serializer resized them.. I couldn't get the Icons to resize to fit in the box, AND the arrows on the end were gone. Just started over.

• I want to be able to set up my own scene, just like the tutorial, without cracking a book hardly. Next questions will be about Documents, will be heavily used in my Mystery game, I expect.

• edited April 2020

Which tutorial? There are several.

The "sword' icons were far too large..

If a Menu's Source is set to Adventure Creator, then you control its display using the Menu Manager - size, position, etc. If your InventoryBox element's Size property is set to Automatic, then items will appear the same size as their graphical assets. Setting it to Manual gives you control over their size in the Menu.

Using AC for a Menu's Source is best used for rapid-prototyping, and getting up and running with a basic interface relatively quickly. For better control over a Menu's display, however, you'll eventually want to rely on Unity UI instead. There are text and video tutorials on doing this, but while learning AC I'd recommend sticking with AC-sourced Menus until you're familar with how they work.

I would recommend going through the 2D tutorial, as a first introduction to AC. Regardless of your intended perspecitve, many of the aspects covered in it are transferrable to all game types.

I'd also advise against using other assets in your project such as Odin Serializer that may interfere or conflict with the tutorials - at least when following them for the first time.

I want to be able to set up my own scene, just like the tutorial, without cracking a book hardly

I'm here to help. But the Manual's "Preparing a 2D scene" / "Preparing a 2.5D scene" / "Preparing a 3D scene" chapters are also there to introduce the core concepts in setting up scenes.

Next questions will be about Documents, will be heavily used in my Mystery game, I expect.

Documents can be defined in the Inventory Manager. Each can be given a name, a texture, and pages of text.

You can add these Documents to the Player's inventory at runtime using the Document: Add or remove Action. A Player's collected Documents can be viewed in an InventoryBox menu element with an Inventory box type set to Collected Documents.

You can view a Document using the Document: Open Action. This will open up any Menu with an Appear type set to On View Document, which should contain elements that are set up to display the active document's various properties (title, page text, etc). Such a menu, named Document, is provided as part of the default interface, which is generated using the New Game Wizard.

• why thank you Chris! I finally figured the Sword size thing. Had to go back and over and over the Video. Another thing that nearly threw me was the "x" to hide the sword icon. Finally, it was the 'Active Input'. I'd missed defining it. Frankly, I like the menu as is. In this respect, I hate computers. Some little thing here, or there, will throw you for a loop.

• figured out the download too, duh. I knew it was in asset format.. I kept thinking, "why did he do that?" I guess you are pressed for time.

• Frankly, I like the menu as is.

For a standard adventure game, you can typically get by with the default interface - no need to change or customise things out of the box. Just opt to rely on the default interface when you use the New Game Wizard, and you'll have the default set of Menus to work with.

figured out the download too, duh. I knew it was in asset format..

Left-clicking should now work.

• I like the default. I like the default Inventory menu. It is plenty good for me.