Forum rules - please read before posting.

Unity 5 light baking ... grrrr!

edited October 2015 in Adventure talk
Just finished playing an adventure game called "Unity 5 Light Baking", and I can't really recommend it to anyone.

The puzzles were tedious and generally too hard, and even using online walkthroughs, it took me forever to finish it.

The cutscenes we're extremely long (often 2.5+ hours) and boring, and would sometimes lock up or crash my system.

Almost feel like going back to Unreal Engine after spending the whole weekend on this nonsense ... >:P

Comments

• edited October 2015
    Not AC related at all - just really tired of this getting in the way of me doing any creative work on my game!
  • Baking in Unity 5 is hard and needs several hours to manage all the issues.

I finaly get what I want about it with one exception: get mixed lights working on dynamic objects in iOS. After asking in unity forums I see there's a serious bug that make it not working, the techs told me that that there's a fix in 5.3 (that I think is released 8th December)
  • Yeah I spent a good part of last week doing the same thing, and while I get some half-decent results once in a while in Unity 5 it's just depressing throwing the same scene into UE4 (after converting some textures) and immediately getting great results.

Perhaps I should just learn Blueprints :P

• edited October 2015
    The trouble is ... UE4 is just a different set of problems! :D

I think the solution really has to be just sticking with Unity and hoping they get this sorted out in the end. Looking for solutions on their forums, it seems that this is an area that has been causing enormous amounts of frustration with Unity 5.

Hey - I work just a short walk from their Copenhagen office! Maybe I should drop by tomorrow during my lunch break and ask them really nicely to fix this? ;;)
  • 5.3 will come with an upgraded Enlighten 3 instead of the current 2.3, I have some really high hopes for that. I am installing the beta right now so if I see any potentially interesting improvements I'll drop a few comments. Since 5.0 baking has really improved (5.2.1) but it still is way too slow and produces too often unexpected results. I really hope they get their grip on it. 
  • I have enough gripes with the Animation window..
  • Feels like the cost of a new unity version is getting everyone's projects set back a year as we wait for fixes.

:D

I can't wait until there's a truly finished 5.x and then (I hope to god) I don't update it again with current projects.
  • edited October 2015
    Is it just me or does it work marginally better in 5.2.1p2? It's not mentioned in the release notes, but it FEELS better. L-)

Still has that smell of badly implemented multithreading - and boy, would I love it if you could get it to output some info about what it's actually working on! (like a -verbose command line option).
  • Weird thing is, with 5.3 I had to redo many of my lights intensities because they appeared way too bright. I guess that is due to the Enlighten 3 upgrade. Seems to be slightly better quality though and a bit faster. Will look out for more changes.