Forum rules - please read before posting.

Anyone using Final IK with AC?

Comments

• @Snebjorn - This.  Is.  AWESOME.  I will try and grab this stuff tonight when I get home and start playing.  Thanks a bunch for this!

Also, I think I'm just going to set all of my effectors up to use the character's head to smash onto the object and carry it away.  It's like...a concept, man!

• :D

My own personal favourite has to be the player picking up items with his feet - but let's see what the response from the focus groups says ...

Ahem ... let me know if you run into any kind of problems with this. :)
  • edited September 2015
    Three actionlists walk into a hotspot ...

• themightyzq - you mentioned that you're planning to use Skele in conjunction with Final IK. May I ask what specifically you'd want to do?

I've just started playing around with Skele and it seems very useful in many ways, but I can't quite see where Final IK would come into the picture ...  :-/

(Can't get enough of the animated emoticons on this forum, BTW!)
  • Now working on getting Look At IK to be used for hotspots instead of AC's built-in IK solution. It works, but there are a few kinks I'd like to iron out before going public with it.

I'll probably have something to show tomorrow.
  • @Snebjorn - For me, I plan on using Skele to create animation clips based off of Mixamo animations to make them more useful for my game-world.  Then I'd use those in conjunction with the Final IK Interaction System to lock the animations to the objects that are being interacted with.

Basically just using Skele as connective tissue for unique animation scenarios. 
  • edited September 2015
    Ah, cool - basically what I'm also expecting to use it for.

I was afraid there was some neat trick I hadn't heard about ...   :bz
  • Awesome stuff! I was on vacation and moved between appartments for the last month so I had to pause development a bit. Love your video Snebjorn. I will play with your action the next couple of days. Really looking forward to that. 
  • Cool Snebjorn. Could you please make a tutorial how to set up everyhing? Thank you!!!!
  • edited October 2015
    Well, for setting up Final IK the official tutorial videos probably can't be bettered:

I'd love to do a tutorial about integration with AC, but I'm a bit pressed for time at the moment, so it's not going to happen this side of the weekend.

Currently busy with getting a new game project off the ground (concept illustration):

I expect to use lots of Final IK functionality in this, so will try and do a video tutorial along the way.

• awesome! Thank you very much. Iam new and still learning. Beautiful concept art
  • Random question to all of your Final IKers.  So...I haven't delved into this too far, but I was thinking about it and wondered if there was a quick solution.  Is there a way for IK to automatically force a character in AC to take steps when they are rotating?  I'm asking because if I have a character use the "turn to face" action, they just rotate in place with feet not moving at all, so it doesn't look very natural.  
    Wondering if there's a value in Final IK on the FBBIK Grounder component that allows you to set rotation limits before the model forces itself take steps.

Any thoughts?
  • Sounds to me more like something that should be handled in the animator controller. In other words: I'm not aware of anything in Final IK that would solve this.
  • edited November 2015
    Yeah - I have turning working somewhat in the animator controller...although, it still feels clumsy and inconsistent.  Sometimes the characters play the turn animation and sometimes they just rotate in place.  I think this is a symptom to a larger issue, though...I feel like I'm constantly tinkering between using root motion and not...If I don't, then the animation seems very smooth, but a lot of transitions get broken, inconsistent.  If I do use root motion, then the transitions seem a bit more reliable but the overall animation is choppy.  Seems like a lot of trade-offs and it's driving me a bit crazy..  I'd imagine a big reason that I'm seeing inconsistencies with my characters is that I can't use the rigid body + capsule collider combo.  I need to use the game controller because my game has a ton of stairs, so I feel like I'm sometimes running into walls because I have to use characters in a way that's not specifically designed for AC.

Anyway, @Snebjorn, did you ever end up looking into using FinalIK for hotspot head-turning?  I'd love to get my hands on that implementation if you have.  My characters are still staring at their navel if I try to use head-turning.  Again.  Probably because of the rigidbody + capsule collider combo.  Grumbles.
  • Hi themightyzq (Zack, right?),

Believe me, I feel your pain regarding the inconsistencies in movements...

If you don’t mind me asking, though, what’s the reason you feel compelled to use a Character Controller instead of the default Rigidbody + Capsule Collider combo? I’m not saying everything will be all right if you switch, I’m just curious. You see, I’ve been testing Final IK’s Grounder FBBIK together with the Rigidbody and Capsule Collider on Fuse-generated characters and it looks more or less fine so I wondered why you have decided to go the Character Controller way.
  • edited November 2015
    @themightyzq - I got head-turning working reasonably well, but hadn't quite finished fiddling with a script to restrict characters to looking at targets in their front arc when I got distracted by character design and modeling.

Will definitely share my solution here when I return to coding - at the moment, almost all my time is spent in Blender.
  • Hey @danielvierna!  I moved over to the Character Controller because using the Capsule Collider + Rigidbody combo doesn't work well with characters that need to go up and down stairs.  I was actually use the Capsule Collider + Rigidbody setup for a long time with reasonable results up until the Unity 5 upgrade happened.  I believe Unity made some internal changes and it basically made using the Capsule Collider + Rigidbody combo invalid in my game because there are LOTS of stairs.

...and yep...My name is Zack.  :) 

@Snebjorn - No worries at all!  I'll be stoked to check it out whenever you get to it! 
  • @themightyzq - What do you mean by "doesn't work well"? Do you mean the characters keep walking in place instead of actually climbing the stairs or something else? Would enabling "Is Kinematic" in the Rigidbody in that case work for you or do you need to keep it disabled?

• @danielvierna - yep, they just don't climb the stairs at all.  Basically, if there's any sort of significant height change, the player won't scale it.  I think I tried the kinematic option, but that was months so.  I'm actually rebuilding one of my players today after doing a new model re-export to try and track down the head turning issue, so I might just make a version with the CC + RB just to see if anything's changed.
  • As you might see from the head turning thread, I rebuilt my character and got that working.  I did try a version with the capsule collider + rigidbody but was still experiencing the same problems on stairs that I did months ago, so I'm going to stick with the Game Controller unless something wildly changes.