Forum rules - please read before posting.

Saved Game File Locations - in various platform builds

edited August 2014 in Technical Q&A
I have been reading some rules of distribution houses for submission of games.
One issue that crops up is where a game stores its saved-game files.

I intend to build to the following platforms:

iOS
Mac
PC
Android

Can anyone tell me where each build platform stores the saved-game files?

Is this just a unity standard location or does AC have its own method?

Thanks

Comments

• AC stores it's save game files in the persistentDataPath that Unity provides it with.  This is a Unity value, and changes based on the platform.  A search of the Unity docs should tell you it's value for each platform.

On top of that, AC makes a note of the file location when loading/saving in the Console window.

• Brill, if its a Unity standard thing then I guess distributor rules would be followed by default.
  • Hey,
    I know, it's an old post, but do you think it's possible to change the persistentDataPath?

It's ok with Windows, but with OSX the folder is Users/username/library/cache/companyname/gamename. And, hmmm, cache folder is not the best location to save your game.
    Unity said it was solved since 4.6, but I have this issue with unity5, so... if it's possible with AC to change the save folder, it could be really great.
  • edited October 2015
    What problem were Unity refererring to when they said this was "solved"?  If you have a link that provides context, please post it - as I don't know if you're talking about personal preference or a bug issue.
  • I read it there: http://issuetracker.unity3d.com/issues/application-dot-persistentdatapath-is-not-correct-for-osx
    Unity post: https://unity3d.com/unity/whats-new/unity-4.5.5
    "Fixes:
    OSX: Application.persistentDataPath changed from ~/Library/Caches/ to ~/Library/Application Support/"

(And I checked it on a MacBook, saves location is cache folder for my game :/)

• Thanks for the clarification.  I'm inclined to leave it as it is officially, since "persistentDataPath" is stil the "official" place to store files - and you'd hope Unity will bring out the fix for Unity 5 soon as well.

However, you can change the directory however you like with a simple script change.  The string variable "saveDirectory" is defined on line 39 of SaveSystem.cs.
  • Just checked - it saves on my MacBook to Library/Application Support/ in Unity 5, so I don't know why it would be saving on yours to the cache folder.  This might be more of an issue with your copy of Unity, rather than AC.
  • Ok, thanks Chris! And yes I think it's a better idea to keep "persistenDataPath", I was just curious if it was possible to change the folder with a script.
    I will try some things (guys in my previous post said "It appears that if you have existing save data in /Caches, it will continue to use that folder").