Forum rules - please read before posting.

Controller setup

2»

Comments

• Brilliant! Thank you so much, Chris!
  • Oh, and should anyone else do this, for reference, you apparently need to uncheck "Ignore Cursor Clicks" in the Interaction menu to make the interaction menu disappear properly after moving the cursor off the hotspot. 
  • Wow - this thread really developed! :D

We decided to go with a simpler method - (open inventory, select object, close inventory, use on hotspot)

The only thing we're trying to figure out now, is how to keep the game unpaused when the inventory is open. (ie the conversation menu) 

We also created a control setup switch, something we can share if anyone is interested!
  • I take it you've tried unchecking Pause game when enabled? in the Inventory Menu.  Note that you can disable Movement and Interactions at this time by using the Engine: Manager systems Action.  Please post in a new thread if you need more advice.
  • I should clarify - being able to use the controller on menus without pausing the game.
  • For that, you need to switch your Menu system to Unity UI.  When AC Menus are used, controllers can only be used when the game is paused.
  • Hi Chris! Hopefully a quick related question to setting up the controller inputs:

I'm looking to use the streamlined "inventory item you need appears in your hotspot interaction ring" method, and have the item showing up properly in the ring and the action list all laid out for the interaction itself. My only issue seems to be that I'm not sure how to map a button (in my case, the triangle button) to using the necessary inventory item. There doesn't appear to be an alternative input button for inventory items I can map an input to within the Menu Manager.

I can make this work by not having the inventory item show up in the ring and simply have the "use" button consume the inventory item via action list checks, but I'd definitely prefer having the inventory item appear as its own button on the wheel.

Thanks!
  • The "Alternative input button" feature is only available for single-slot elements like Buttons.

However, you could consider looking into Active inputs, which allow you to run ActionLists when an input button is pressed (see Section 2.14 of the Manual).  You could run an ActionList that first checks if the Interaction Menu is on (Menu: Check state), and then runs a custom Action of yours that triggers the inventory button manually.

The AC.PlayerMenus.SimulateClick function can be used to simulate the clicking of a menu element via script.
  • edited July 2016
    I'll give that a shot, thanks!

Though I'm curious then what the intended interaction behavior was for the Walking Dead template's inventory setup in that case. The included manager puts the icon for selected inventory items on the interaction ring -- was it originally meant to be clicked on, perhaps?
  • edited July 2016
    And I also notice that the conversation system with this Walking Dead template doesn't seem to support the alternative input button feature either, so if I was going to do it like Telltale, with options mapped to face buttons, it'd need to use Active Inputs most likely (or just have the right analog stick/cursor be used to select options manually).
  • Triggering dialogue options via inputs is a separate implementation.  In the Settings Manager, check Dialogue options can be selected with number keys?, and you'll see that the inputs DialogueOption[1-9] are listed in the Available inputs box.
  • edited July 2016
    This all works great, Chris, thank you!

Now that the dialog system is set up to work via face button presses, I have one aesthetics question regarding the cursor: is it currently possible via the AC menu/cursor manager to change the appearance of the cursor when it is over a hotspot? 

For example, having a "Display Cursor" option that removes the cursor or adds transparency to the cursor while the interaction menu is open would help further drive home the necessity of using the face buttons to complete interactions. Telltale adds an alpha onto their cursor, for instance, when hovering over an object you can interact with via the face buttons.
  • Yes - under "Hotspot settings" in the Cursor Manager, there should be a field for defining a "Mouse-over cursor".
  • Hm... I actually tried fiddling with that earlier, but it appears to only work on hotspots before the interaction menu appears -- and when the menu appears the cursor reverts back to its default appearance (I'm using the Walking Dead template's cursor manager).
  • edited July 2016
    That's as intended, as most games will still be pointer-based at this moment and require the normal cursor to click on the Menu.

However, you could change the main cursor's texture using a custom Action when the Interaction Menu is turned on (and changed back when turned off).

If you right-click on the main cursor's texture field in the Cursor Manager (v1.52+), you can get the API reference to set the texture through script.