Forum rules - please read before posting.

Calm Waters

Comments

• I've created another teaser trailer for the game - created in AC (but captured and edited externally):

• Are you working with hedgefield? Disapparence, missing, kidnapping...  :P
    Cool fx, especially because they're made with AC!
    We wanna ingame trailer! 
    ;)
  • Hey nice! Haha I do have a similar sort of opening to my game ;) there's just something fascinating about disappearances and mysteries like that. I could play such games forever. Looks good!
  • Thanks guys!

No we're not working together lol.

Yes, the whole mystery of missing persons intrigues me and is a perfect fitting for a point & click game :)

There's so much I want to say but I can't because it'll spoil the game.

I'll be working on a new in-game trailer soon although the gameplay teaser video at the top of this page in my first post is all in-game.

• @2finger - here's a new gameplay video:

• Hey, good job Darren!  ;)
    There are a lot of cool camera movement, very "film style"!
    Have you already planned a release date? Where do you think you'll sell it? 
    Cheers
  • great job, well done ... very nice :)
  • I'm selling on PC & Mac first, and then I'll work on optimising it for Android and iOS.

I'll be selling from my own website, GOG, BigFishGames and am considering Steam too. I'm still researching others but if you know of any good outlets, please let me know :)
  • How much did it cost to hire voice actors for your game? I'm going to need voice actors but I don't know if I'm going to be able to afford it on my own.

For my graphics I'm doing part time hiring and using turbosquid.

Thankfully AGC eliminates the need for a programmer.

Anyway I still got a long way to go.

Good luck on your game. It's looking really good so far.
  • edited August 2014
    Thank you. I found my voice actors online and they're happy to work for free until the game's released which is when I'll pay them a set amount each.

I lot of struggling voice actors are willing to work pre-pay just to get noticed :)
  • Thanks Tayanna. Right now I'm thinking I'll probably try a kickstarter to raise money for professional voice actors but if that fails then I'll try what you did.

But I still have a long way to go before I get there.
  • It doesn't seem possible to update the original post with updates so I'll just add them here - here's a selection of screengrabs. These are taken from the Android version.

The game's 2.5D and 1080p (although resized here) with a very Broken Sword-esque interface.

I hope you like them :)

• This looks really great. Amazing job! It's the first time I see this thread. Has there really a year passed since the last update? Is it live already? What's the status? :-)

It would be great to learn more about your dev setup, scenes, lighting, baking, problems etc. Do you have a dev blog of some kind? How many people are working on the game? What are you doing yourself and what are you outsourcing?
  • edited June 2015
    I've been working on this for 3 years now. It was originally 3D, now it's been redone in 2.5D as it's much more practical for the game style that I was wanting to achieve.

I have done all of the coding, design and writing myself, there's no out-sourcing, the only thing I've used are commercially-ususable sounds/music and the odd model here and there.

All backgrounds are pre-rendered in Sketchup using VRay. The lights on the character are from lights used in Unity.

You can follow the progress here: https://www.facebook.com/calmwatersgame

It's due for release this year.
  • Good luck with the campaign! Just backed it :-)

I will definitely follow it to see how it goes. It's quite an interesting thing to see an AC game go there as I am planning to do the same thing. I also need the money for voice acting + additional assets.
  • Thank you so much! So far so good. It's genuinely nerve-racking. If you're thinking starting a KS then simply do it!
  • I really like the idea for the story and I think it looks good, too.

So good luck from me as well! Just backed it with 5£.

Cheers,
    Orrence.
  • Thanks Orrence, it's very much appreciated!
  • Would you be willing to share some numbers for the project? Would be really interested to gauge a bit where I am. Did you look into Steam greenlight as well?
    • How many locations/rooms
    • How many characters, main & NPC & background
    • How many scenes
    • How many hotspots
    • How many inventory items & approximate item combinations
    • How many lines of dialog & conversations
    • How many action lists
    • Average of setpass calls/draw calls
    • Estimated playtime
    • Build size PC & Android
    Cheers, Robert