Forum rules - please read before posting.

[request] Adventure Creator - Community wiki(a) page.

edited August 2016 in Engine development
Hi everyone. This isn't much a request just for Chris as it is one for all of us. 

I was thinking, isn't it time we make a communal Wikia or wiki page for Adventure creator? I mean, filled with tips and tricks and unofficial integrations or extra contents or possibilities, or examples (right out of the forums) which usually go further away from the assets original intention. I feel there's way too many commonly asked questions nowadays, which are not addressed by the documentation and rightfully so because most of them don't belong in it (they're either out of the scope of the original asset or would simply bloat the docs too much), but they're still very useful and valid questions that simply don't get answered right away to the users because there's no proper centralized location to get that "extra" info easily (so they end up asking in the forums). 

I also think a proper communal Wiki(a) would, after some time, most probably lighten up the burden on Chris, allowing him to have more time to pursue updates or his own projects.

Anyways, I've never actually made a wiki(a) page myself, maybe someone here is more experienced with this or knows a better option for a place where we can gather all this information (which would be a gold mine for anyone using AC). Then it would just be a matter of getting the most relevant info from the forums and pasting it there for everyone to see.

Comments

• I agree wholeheartedly!  Sharing info about how to use AC was really what the "Extending the editor" forum category was for, but that's more limited to custom features than general advice.

If a wiki can be started that contains accurate and useful information, I would happily provide links to it on the AC website.
  • edited August 2016
    Well I've added a few pages so far (you can see them in recent activity). I added some integrations I put in the forums myself (Rewired and CN Controls Joystick), I've tried to make some pages which represent categories, but they are still not linked to the main page though. I don't know much about formatting and linking using wiki's tools, yet. Anyway, it would be good if we spread the word, so that everyone tries to add stuff they've contributed or specially complex or tricky problems they had and figured out a solution. Answers to common question might be good too. It would also be a good idea to put our heads together to figure out proper names for page categories, though. For now I have made:

• Unofficial Integrations.
    • General Tips and tricks. (AC related only)
    • Commonly Asked questions.
    • Miscellaneous Content.   (I've noticed some people have posted code, shaders and other useful stuff in the forums, stuff unrelated to AC, which I'd like to have here if they agree.)
    (it's also good to note that only you can delete pages right now - i.e.: only the admin -)
  • Great idea! I'll contribute when I have some free time.
  • Thanks both.  I'm trying to work out how this wikia system actually works, so I've been working on categorising @Alverik's added content into sub-pages.  I've reduced this to just General and Integrations for now, but more categories can be added when there is content to add.
  • edited August 2016
    Ok, I've added some more stuff, so there's 12 pages now (Edit: make that 11, there was one old Category page left uncategorized so I didn't notice it till now, it needs to be re-purposed later). Anyway, I messaged some of the people who gave some of tips/scripts... but I kinda forgot if I stated which script I was talking them about, lol (I'm too used to forum threads, where this things are obvious...). Anyway, I don't know if it's my browser but I seem to notice some weird behavior in the main page. Sometimes when you click the links the page directs you to the video below instead of sending you to the link's address. Any idea why that would happen?

Anyway, I'll continue adding stuff tomorrow or the day after (I also got to work some, lol)

Ah! @Hedgefield ! Would you mind adding your water/mirror reflections shader? I think it would be pretty cool to have it there (in the 'General' category). I'm sure a lot of AC users (and others) will love it (it looks great!).
  • Which links aren't working?  I'd like to get the "base" working/looking right before I announce it more formally.
  • edited August 2016
    Like I said, I'm not sure if this has to do with my browser or my screen resolution. But practically all the links in the main page have a chance of scrolling down and showing me the area with the video on the first click (yeah, just on the first click, weird...). It looks, just as if you had used internal site links. Funny thing is, if you click on the link a second time, it always works like a charm.