Forum rules - please read before posting.

New ActionList editor window (preview)

After adding a node-based Converation editor, I finally figured out how to upgrade the Actionlist editor window to allow for moveable nodes:

This'll take over the current editor window (note: NOT the inspector, that'll remain as it is - the editor is still optional), but since it's quite a big change I wanted to preview it beforehand in case people prefer the old system.

With this new window, each Action's GUI is in it's own draggable window, and the connections between each can be drawn by dragging the mouse from one socket to another.  The intention is to make it much easier to build lists that involve branching paths (see the simple example above).  I should be able to get the "currently running" action to highlight when viewing it in game, as well.

Again, I won't implement unless you guys approve, as it'll replace the current window.  Looking good so far?

Comments

• That looks pretty nice. Question though- will we still be able to copy/paste multiple actions as in the previous action list editor? I've found that to be a very handy feature.
  • Yeah i like it, make a like button! ;)
    If there's the multiple copy/paste it could substitute the actual Actionlist editor in my opinion.
  • This is much better, IMO. Very nice!
  • Quite nice.

For a really long list this could make it easy to read.
  • I am in favour of this enhancement, too.
  • Looks great, pretty much puts Playmaker out of commision ;) In terms of the branching I think it makes it much clearer what the path is.
  • Thanks, glad this is going down well.

Copy/Paste functionality will still be there, though the new node sockets are making the "shift up/down" buttons rather needless/confusing.  I'll likely remove them from this view, though they'll still be present in the Inspector.
  • This looks killer, Chris.
  • This looks really great! Nice work Chris :)

Maybe instead of checking nodes to copy/paste, you could marquee-select them instead.

And highlighting the currently-running action would be great. To me, that is actually more important than other node-based details, and is what led me to start working on my node editor. IMO visualizing state and general debugging is what's most lacking when it comes to using AC day-to-day.
  • >>highlighting the currently-running action would be great. To me, that is
    actually more important than other >>node-based details, and is what led
    me to start working on my node editor. IMO visualizing state and >>general
    debugging is what's most lacking when it comes to using AC day-to-day.

This...
    If you peek at Playmaker, it's one of it's nicest features. Each 'node' lights up as it plays, so when something breaks, you can see where.

Thanks for the terrific package.
    B.
  • This (and a few other features/requests) is taking a while longer, so in the meantime VIDEO!

A few showcased features:
    • Draggable action "nodes"
    • Socket system (plug one node into another, unplug a connection by dragging into empty space)
    • Panning and zooming
    • Marquee selection
    • Highlighting the currently-running action (see end of video)
  • edited March 2014
    Chris - that looks fantastic. Looks like you really went the extra mile with the navigation stuff too. Thanks so much for your constant development!
  • Stunning...really. Look forward to working more deeply in AC.
  • Looks really great!