Forum rules - please read before posting.

Favorite adventure games ?

Just to see what the guys around here think, and to see if there are some games I haven't played.

I'll start with mine:

- Shenmue: kinda cheating because it's not an "adventure game" per se, but I just love everything about it. Fucking amazing.
- Grim Fandango
- Blade Runner
- Callahan's Cross Time Saloon.
- Gabriel Knight 2.
- Hotel Dusk.

Yours ?

Comments

• Tex Murphy - Pandora Directive

Shenmue

Gabriel Knight 2

Toonstruck

Lost Horizon

Indiana Jones & the fate of Atlantis

Blade Runner

Heavy Rain

• Broken Sword (1 and 2)
    Detective Grimoire
    Puzzle Agent
    The Journey Down
    Kentucky Route Zero
    The Last Express
    Grim Fandango
    The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
  • edited March 2015
    How did I forget broken sword 1 !?

Probably one of my first adventure games I played, all the other ones I couldn't get into that much, but the first one has something I just love (maybe nostalgia).
  • My list:
    1. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (BEST adventure game ever!)
    2. The Secret of Monkey Island
    3. Day of the Tentacle
    4. Grim Fandango
    5. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
    6. The Curse of Monkey Island
    7. Kyrandia 2: Hand of Fate
    8. The Longest Journey
    9. Gemini Rue
    10. The Dig

Too much Lucasarts classics, I know... :P I enjoy enjoyed a few Sierra classics as well, mostly the Space Quest games, Police Quest...

If you don't want old classic games, you should try the Blackwell saga, Gemini Rue and Primordia from Wadjet Eye games, and The Whispered World, A New Beginning and The Night of the Rabbit from Daedalic Entertainment :)

• edited April 2015
    Everyone is posting the well known classics, of course those are good :) Anyone ever played "in cold blood" ? sort of an action adventure. Also discworld noir, black mirror, and the lost files of sherlock holmes. And that Lost Horizon looks good. how did that I miss that? 
  • edited January 2017
    Bump.

During my childhood I'd play The Magic School Bus and Arthur educational games. Much later in 2001-02, I played Myst III Exile and Funcom's The Longest Journey, my first real adventure games. Myst was very hard and I never finished, but I fell in love with TLJ. Although prior I enjoyed the demo of LucasArts' Escape from Monkey Island, which I played frequently. Also, around the same time (2002-03) I got a hold of a Sega Dreamcast and experienced Shenmue. I loved it so much I imported the UK version of Shenmue II as well. Those are the games that introduced me into the genre. I'd say my favorites in this order would be:

1. The Longest Journey 
    2. Shenmue 
    3. Grim Fandango 

Those are really the only one's I've played besides Shenmue II, and the Dreamfall spin-offs (TLJ was better IMO, but DF games were still good). Also, I own Gabriel Knight 20th Anniversary and Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, but haven't had the time to play them yet. I'm into survival horror games if Amnesia: The Dark Descent counts. The survival horror genre borrows a lot of elements from the adventure genre. I'm really into the Resident Evil series, especially the earlier ones. 

• Since it hasnt been mentioned, I would say Silent Age is one of the best i've played. Simple yet immersive and has a steady story flow <3 Never got to beat the old classics and now there's no time to play anything :(
  • I really liked KGB from Cryo back in the day.

Extremely hard game, especially by modern standards, but with a lot of depth and a quite sophisticated dialogue system for its time.

Not the prettiest game ever, but a consistent visual style that actually worked really well for the game's theme.

I played it with my wife soon after it came out (boy, does THAT make me feel old!), and we'd spend a couple of hours every night on the game after the kids had been put to bed, and thinking about the puzzles all day at work. :D
  • edited January 2017
    I also remember having a lot of fun with what must have been "King's Quest 15th Anniversary Collector's Edition" (1994)

It looked old even back then, but I remember thinking the writing was actually quite good - and I still joke with my son about the horror of being turned into a gingerbread man by the witch if you stayed too long in her house! :)

Interesting technical fact from looking it up on Wikipedia: "Like previous static-screen Sierra adventures, King's Quest I used vector graphics rather than pre-rendered bitmaps which would take far too much disk space. Each screen is drawn line-by-line and painted in."
  • Oh yeah - back then you could actually DIE in adventure games!
  • edited January 2017
    -Black mirror trilogy.
    -Blackwell saga.
    -The longest journey.
    -Grim fandango.
    -Gabriel knight 1.
    -Hotel dusk and Last window.
    -Sherlock Holmes crimes and punishments.
    -Primordia.

There's probably more but I can't recall right now. From recent games I also liked The Silent Age but I never saw the ending, got stuck near the end, lol, and I've no time to wait for patches now adays.

Edit: Almost forget! 
    -The Lost Crown: a ghosthunting adventure
  • edited January 2017

Looks like I'm late to the party, but I'm off work & quite ill, so here goes 5 of my favourites, in no particular order:

*Broken Sword 1 (Original Version)

*The Secret of Monkey Island

*Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within

*The Walking Dead: Season 1 (Telltale)

*The Testament of Sherlock Holmes

I thought about The Talos Principle, but decided that it was more of a straight puzzle game with an overarching narrative, rather than an actual adventure game.

I also considered other games, such as Fahrenheit(Indigo Prophecy) and La Noire, but decided to stick with more traditional adventures. Also, I kind of shot myself in the foot by limiting myself to only 5

:D 
  • edited January 2017
    Ufff to many...some old ones 
    -Silent hill
    Syberia I,II
    -Myst series (all episodes)
    -Phantasmagoria
    -Harvester 
    -Sanitarium
    -Black mirror trilogy
    -Midnight nowhere
    -Darkness within
    -Lost crown- A ghost hunting adventure
    -Art of murder series
    :D 
  • edited January 2017
    Duh! How could I miss Fahrenheit and Sanitarium! Tottaly forgot about them, but they're tops on my list too. :) I also loved The Wolf Among Us.
  • Sanitarium...still got to try that one. Also, the Syberia games look good as well.