Forum rules - please read before posting.

Genocide Dolphins (UFPS/AC)

Comments

• I can't remember well where I picked this technique, but think it was from Brackeys (a guy with a Unity tutorial channel). But basically, instead of having a single mecanim parameter for each and every animation state (which quickly gets horrid) you just make one int parameter, and use different numbers to signify different animations, that way you can use a single parameter for many, many animation state transitions (which you can represent with an enum in code or anyway other you want). Also try and make substate machines for your states. You could create them by categories, like interactions, locomotion, etc. That will clean up your animator quite a bit, thought at this point it might be a lot of work to modify it, so it'll be your call (though it'll probably make your work easier in the long run).
  • edited May 2017

I've been watching your progress on this game since I first got Adventure Creator a few years back, and I still don't know what the heck is going on :)) but, I do find it fascinating. You seem to make progress a lot faster than I do, it's really impressive with all the stuff going on in these maps. Keep going!

• Alverik, thanks for the tips I will give that a go, they really are a nightmare the way I am doing them lol. 

Deckard, thanks mate, yes its going well, I have been on this game since 2012 so things are starting to fall into place that make the progress look great, most of these things I've been developing in the background for a while though :) 

Thanks for watching guys!!
    Gaz.
  • edited May 2017
    It reminds me a little on the "mass effect". Cool post apocalyptic atmosphere. There's a lot of work here, well done!
  • ...Okay then.

It's like Vic & Bob went out to celebrate with The Might Boosh, but someone spiked their drinks. Then, they recalled their visions of the series of events to a writer, who then became a scriptwriter for a tv show directed  by David Lynch. This was then, somehow, turned into a video game.

• Hahaha I think I take that as praise, I hope there is a good amount of people who will want to see something different :) I guess when game development becomes easier we will see a lot more mental games, I cant even work out what is mad and what is not anymore, it just flows out of my head. Sometimes I think it is too mundane, other times Im laughing thinking what will people make of it, and I really cant be arsed making something for all ages, hence all the drug stuff, I want to do things that people laugh about not being in games. Put it all in and hopefully wrap it in a decent story and world, and see what happens. AC certainly makes it happen, I think it's the best asset available, bridges the gap nicely. Thanks for watching guys, much appreciate any comment, new video uploading now would you believe :)
  • Sounds like you were enjoying your killing spree a bit too much >:)

Can the thrown people do damage? For example you're fighting enemies, but you run out of ammo, but you could throw a person at them!

I would put some sort of limit on using the throwing, like a recharging time for example, just to prevent the player from being overpowered.

Is there any sort of consequences to going a massacre like that? GTA "heat" for example, not sure how you would implement it though, it's a pretty complex system. Maybe spawn some enemy gang members (like those clowns that you did a demo that time) when so many people have been killed, depending on which area you're in - it could their patch!

• Good ideas! They cant do damage yet but I will make it so :) Yeah for now the guy is at max ability, people will need to earn these skills somehow, recharging time is also a good idea. 

Im trying to avoid copying GTA too much, I have several times been close to adding some sort of "police" (not hard actually if you can get an AI package working well, thats the tough bit - although I have tactical AI working nice now, used to be called Paragon). But right now I am making some more clown missions where they can massacre the people themselves and you need to kill them to protect the people. I still need to come up with some justification for the player to able to kill random pedestrians with no come back :-) Maybe they can become evil somehow. I dont think people realise just how much thought and evolution goes into making everything work seemlessly, that is one of the toughest bits, and for me it comes over such a long time of thinking and trying things out. At times I worry I will never weave it all together nicely, but chatting with friends can help a lot, especially those who have spent the last five years playing skyrim etc and not sitting in front of unity :)
  • Looking good - impressive AI. Is it Tactical Shooter AI? I'm trying to get that to work with stealth in my game, but they seem way too "aware" of the player in my experience, I'm hoping I can tweak something to improve that.

Anyway I noticed something with your clown enemies; the bullet decal seems to stay on their capsule collider and looks like it's floating in mid-air, as the guy is actually dead and is ragdolling around. Hopefully an easy fix.

• yep that is tactical AI finally working, I was messing with it a year back when it was Paragon. They do seem to know where i am too much I am using "event zones" ie you waslk through a trugger they are placed around the corner to try and get around that.

Yes I have quite a few issues with bullet decals and random invisible walls that bullets seem to hit!.. will hopefully sort for next vid :))
  • Oooh boy that crash sounds brutal, but good to see you're recovering!

You've sorted out the decal issue on the AIs too, now looks a lot more satisfying when combined with the particles and ragdoll. For the hit reactions, there is this but I'm not sure how to implement it with UFPS / AI systems.

I'm still impressed you have all this running seamlessly in one scene without performance tanking though - I'm too scared to even try that to be honest, I can just imagine a lot of headaches that I can do without.

Train lights look awesome by the way.

• Also, as a suggestion you could switch to your GTA-style "look backwards" cam when the player is killed, to avoid the camera clipping through his back and stuff.
  • Thanks for the comments man :) Yeah I hacked up the script to use a blood effect on bipeds and other on non bipeds, looks pretty awesome and as you say no bullet holes in mid air makes all the difference.

Yeh its a shame unity goes so slow so fast, you would think occlussion culling would be a bit better. You may notice I culled an entire section of the city, which was a brewery because of speed.. even the red light district is a big drag.

Good idea about the camera, will give that a go, thanks for watching mate :) Gonna look into final IK too.. I think I own it from before.
  • That is one powerful bat/club/wrench thing! Is it supposed to smack you out of the cage though?

Full marks for that video title by the way. That should be the name of one of the trophies / achievements if you ever add them.