Forum rules - please read before posting.

A global switch to disable/enable "Move with rigidbody?"

This new change in upgrade-notes may be breaking to some projects:

• Rigidbody-based characters are now moved by applying forces - Interpolation should be set for smooth motion, and Masses may need increasing to prevent object-pushing
  • Added: Option for 3D characters to not rely on their Rigidbody for movement
  • Changed: Rigidbody-based characters are now moved by applying forces - Interpolation should be set for smooth motion, and Masses may need increasing to prevent object-pushing

I understand that this is the correct and better way to move characters, but I'm still asking if you could add a global setting for easy ability to use the old default for movement? 

This is mainly because we noticed that after the update a big part of our characters get stuck in various circumstances. Changing the mass/drag/interpolation for the character more or less solves it, but there also seem to be cases where the chars still get stuck unlike before.

I understand just unchecking "Move with rigidbody?" on player/NPC script would fall back to old ways, so thanks for the option! A mobile game we (actually mainly my sisters) released recently has really lots of characters/scenes and we need to update it soon, and it seems we need to fallback to the old movement method so we can get our next update out in time. However, we are fearing that we miss some character, and would need to spend a lot of time testing before the release. Lots of uncertaintly we'd like to avoid, though we eventually probably try to move all chars to new movement method.

Soo.. What I'm asking if you could possible add a global switch, and clicking that would be equal as unchecking "Move with rigidbody" invidually for every NPC/Player?

Comments

• If there is an issue with characters getting stuck no matter their settings, then that'll be a bug that needs fixing - if you can provide steps to recreate in a new thread, I'll see what can be done about it.

As for a "global option", sorry - I think that would be confusing and a bit edge-case, especially since once all NPCs have been updated it would have no more use.  You could either have an Editor script that goes through all scenes, makes the change to all NPCs present and saves the scene - or just protect the variable (API entry) so that it's no longer serialized.
  • Thanks for the comment. 

We will just go through all scenes and disable the new feature for each char - for the next production update. And with time we will go through each character again and test the new setting and if it might cause problems.

For now relying on the "new" physics makes some chars get stuck in small objects while moving from A to B. Could be also a pathfinding issue or something. Anyway, we'll use the old setting for now.