Forum rules - please read before posting.

Parameter values in the "ActionList: Run" Action becoming mismatched

Fixed: Parameter values in the "ActionList: Run" Action becoming mismatched if the referenced ActionList's parameters are modified

maybe i don't understand the bug but it doesn't sound good.

I have 1900 speech actions alone
and  tons of actionlists/cutscenes with parameters that call each other.
game was finished and last tester here last week. so I thought it was over.

I got this Warning while playing ...

Parameter mismatch detected - please check the 'ActionList: Run' Action for its parameter values.

-> AC debug logger
UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object, Object)
AC.ACDebug:LogWarning(Object, Object) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Static/ACDebug.cs:29)

This error message isn't helpful. We would need ActionlistName and Action-id.
Could you provide a helper script to list all affected actionlists/cutscenes? "scene:actionlistname:action_id

or am I nervous for no reason?

Comments

• in general

while testing we look at the game 
    and see the error logs later when the actionlist isn't running anymore 
    especially when actionlists call other actionlists a lot, it's hard to know what caused the error
    when a warning/error occurs it should also dump the currently running cutscene/actionlist-name.

I always get warnings and errors from time to time because of lost references or no constant ids set in action (sample I had 5 minutes ago: trigger deactivate through "object -  send message - turned off," created new action - linked object again - done)

but it was hard to find (i went through 4 actionlists in this case)
    It would be great if I could look at the logs after 4,5 hour game testing and fix the bugs afterwards
    knowing where they occured

• Auto-Save is one of my classics which happens all the time ...

Cannot save at this time - either blocking ActionLists, a Conversation is active, or saving has been manually locked.
  • edited November 2017
    if anybody is working on this in his/her game ...

this is how I do it:

edit ActionRunActionList.cs: 
    replace 
    ACDebug.LogWarning (wo + "Parameter mismatch detected - please
    with               
    string wo = "";

#if  UNITY_EDITOR

if (Application.isPlaying == false && Selection.activeGameObject!=null) {
    wo = EditorSceneManager.GetActiveScene().name + ": "+ Selection.activeGameObject.name+ ": ";
    }

string prms = "\nexternal -----\n";
    foreach (ActionParameter ap in externalParameters) {
    prms = prms + ap.label;
    }
    prms = prms + "\nold here -----\n";
    foreach (ActionParameter ap in oldLocalParameters) {
    prms = prms + ap.label;
    }
    ACDebug.LogWarning (wo + "Parameter mismatch detected - please check the 'ActionList: Run' Action for its parameter values." + prms);

then open every scene
    ALT/Option-Click on Scene in Hierarchy so everything is expanded
    start at top, hit down arrow key until the end and get a log of all objects that cause this error

the param logs give a hint which action is affected
    then sometimes the params have to be re-entered so the warning doesn't occur again
    after re-opening the scene.
  • edited November 2017
    I went through every gameobject in every scene to trigger all Parameter mismatch messages.
    I did this 3 times but still missed one.

That one just broke the game on iOS.
    So AC-Users be aware that these warnings might brake your game on iOS if you don't fix them.
    In my case I had to reset the parameters manually.
    Then I checked again by closing the scene and reopen it.

my code will help you spot the affected action in the actionlist

Example this one broke the game:
    Parameter mismatch detected - please check the 'ActionList: Run' Action for its parameter values.
    external -----
    Hide, Animate, 
    old here -----
    Parameter 1, 

It is also useful for dialogue options
    they also threw warnings when opened and i found a bug
  • edited December 2017
    I apologise for the trouble so close to your game's release.  It was a necessary fix, and I agree that the warning should be more specific.

However, it should be that the warning can be ignored if you aren't changing the parameters of the ActionList the ActionList: Run Action references after upgrading.  This is noted at the top of the upgrade notes:

-Before deleting an ActionList parameter, any "ActionList: Run" Action needs to have its UI viewed to upgrade it so that data is not lost

Having it run beforehand shouldn't cause a crash - it's behaviour should remain unchenced.   I can't reproduce any such problem on iOS - what is the exact behaviour on iOS, and does it occur in other builds?  Any detail you can share will help to address this.

• Well, all I can tell ist that the game hang at Cutscene XY on iOS (I don't make an android version).
    Opening the Cutscene XY in Unity logged the parameter warning.
    Although I thought I got all of them.
    I set the params again manually in the actionlisteditorwindow. 
    compiled and the problem was gone on the phone.

I just found 2  ActionListAssets that got broken 
    keep in mind of all my actionlistassets only 2 are broken 
    so it's an easy fix for me. It was an actionlistasset which called another actionlist asset with two params: FromLeft, tweet.

Here are some details:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    AC.ACDebug.RunningACL () (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Static/ACDebug.cs:43)
    AC.ACDebug.LogWarning (System.Object message, UnityEngine.Object context) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Static/ACDebug.cs:79)
    AC.ActionRunActionList.SyncLists (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 externalParameters, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 oldLocalParameters) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Actions/ActionRunActionList.cs:793)
    AC.ActionRunActionList.SetParametersGUI (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 externalParameters, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 ownParameters) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Actions/ActionRunActionList.cs:579)
    AC.ActionRunActionList.ShowGUI (System.Collections.Generic.List`1 parameters) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/Actions/ActionRunActionList.cs:429)
    AC.ActionListEditorWindow.NodeWindow (Int32 i) (at Assets/AdventureCreator/Scripts/ActionList/Editor/ActionListEditorWindow.cs:727)
    UnityEngine.GUIL

• Thanks, PM with a package to test sent.