Forum rules - please read before posting.

Version 1.60 - 2.5D background changes, performance improvements

2»

Comments

• Thanks Chris for the "The text fields in Menu and Scene Actions now support tokens", really adds more power to the menus. Thanks also for the [Var:x]
  • Two new tutorials!  (Well, one new and one remake)

Remaking Unity's adventure game
    Running time: 2hr 30min
    Unity made their own adventure game as part of Unity 2016's Training Day, complete with snazzy graphics and bad jokes we all love the genre for.  Here, we "borrow" that game's assets and rebuild it with AC.  This is intended as an introduction to AC for those already familiar with Unity, but is also a good choice for anyone looking to make a 3D game.

Making a 2D game
    Running time: 1hr 29min
    This is a remake of the old 2D tutorial, so it's probably not worth revisiting if you're already been through that one - though it does cover "Choose Interaction Then Hotspot" mode now.  This remake was necessary because there have been a few minor changes to AC's interface and worfklow since - and while the old video could still be followed, it's intended as an "AC crash course" so ideally should be kept up-to-date.
  • The bug hunt continues with version 1.60.4! 

Upgrade note
    Before deleting an ActionList parameter, any "ActionList: Run" Action needs to have its UI viewed to upgrade it so that data is not lost
    • Added: New options in "Player: Switch" Action to control the replacement of NPCs when it results in switching to a new scene
    • Added: Button menu elements can now use variable text tokens
    • Added: "Move player" option to the "Object: Transform" Action
    • Added: "Single Keypress", “Button Mash" and "Hold Key" QTEs now work with touch-screen taps if no input axis name is supplied in the "Input: QTE" Action
    • Added: Parameter-selector fields now show parameter IDs at the end of the label, so that they can be sorted into popup folders with forward-slashes
    • Added: If a GameObject parameter does not have the expected component, a warning message will show in the Console when referenced
    • Added: Ability to re-arrange parameters in ActionList Inspectors
    • Added: Timed Conversations can be given no default option, causing the Conversation to just end if the timer expires
    • Added: Ability to set a time limit to the "Character: Move to point" Action, and have the character stop or teleport if the timer is exceeded
    • Added: [paramlabel:X] text token - when used to reference a GameObject parameter, it is replaced by the GameObject's label, or Hotspot/Character label if one exists
    • Changed: The MainCamera's Culling Masks are no longer tightly controlled when using 2.5D cameras, other than the BackgroundImage layer being removed
    • Fixed: Parameter values in the "ActionList: Run" Action becoming mismatched if the referenced ActionList's parameters are modified
    • Fixed: "Vector3" parameter values not being modifiable in the “ActionList" Run Action
    • Fixed: Typo in the "Custom save formats and handling" chapter of the Manual
    • Fixed: Character rotations reverting once the "Object: Transform" Action is used to turn them
    • Fixed: ActionList Editor window sometimes opening inappropriately when double-clicking a Console message
    • Fixed: 2D Demo's Interaction menu not centering over the cursor
    • Fixed: Actions inserted after others in the ActionList Editor not having the correct "After running" settings
    • Fixed: If the "Inventory: Add or remove" Action is used to remove the currently-selected item, the item is now deselected as well
  • which versions were affected by this bugs? only 1.60.3?
    • Fixed: Parameter values in the "ActionList: Run" Action becoming mismatched if the referenced ActionList's parameters are modified
    • Fixed: Actions inserted after others in the ActionList Editor not having the correct "After running" settings
  • Bloody remakes!

Nah, thanks for remaking the tutorial Chris. A lot of other folks would just leave it and plaster annotations all over the video. 
    :)>-
  • I just tested a full AC game on iOS with 1.60.4. Everything works, save games, etc. but all warnings concerning this issue (Fixed: Parameter values in the "ActionList: Run" Action becoming mismatched if the referenced ActionList's parameters are modified) need to be fixed or the game will hang. 
  • @dude: I have replied to your thread on this - please let's keep it to one place to avoid confusion.
  • Version 1.60.5 brings some attention to Timeline, and some minor tweaks:

Upgrade notes
    • The RuntimeInventory script’s localItems List is now read-only - the script’s functions can be used to modify the player’s inventory through code
    • If a Hotspot interaction's "Player action" is "Turn To Face", the player will face the Hotspot's "Centre-point override" if one exists
    • If the "Engine: Wait" Action is given a negative "Wait time", the Action will wait for frame
    • If the "Player: Constrain" Action is used to modify a pathfinding player’s "Walk/Run" state, they will continue pathfinding at the new speed
    • Added: The "Engine: Control Timeline" Action now supports the remapping of track bindings and replacement of Timeline assets
    • Added: The "Remember Timeline" component can now save the track bindings if they have Constant ID values
    • Added: The "Remember Timeline" component can now save the Timeline asset, provided it is in a Resources folder
    • Added: Public functions to PlayerMenus to update and draw Menus created through custom scripts
    • Added: Minor optimisations for moving characters
    • Changed: The RuntimeInventory script’s localItems List is now read-only - the script’s functions can be used to modify the player’s inventory through code
    • Changed: If a Hotspot interaction's "Player action" is “Turn To Face“, the player will face the Hotspot's "Centre-point override" if one exists
    • Changed: When an Interaction menu element is clicked, the Menu now transitions out, instead of turning off instantly
    • Changed: If the "Player: Constrain" Action is used to enforce running, the Player will also run when moving to Hotspots
    • Changed: If the "Player: Constrain" Action is used to modify a pathfinding player’s "Walk/Run" state, they will continue pathfinding at the new speed
    • Changed: If the "Engine: Wait" Action is given a negative "Wait time", the Action will wait for one frame
    • Fixed: Issues with re-orderable inventory menus after changing scenes
    • Fixed: The “ToggleRun" input run not being listed in the Manual's "Input descriptions" chapter
    • Fixed: Player colliders sometimes blocking clicks to 2D NavMeshes in Unity 5.6 or newer
    • Fixed: Games sometimes not leaving "Cutscene" state after resuming an ActionList asset
  • Do you mean NavMeshes?  You must re-assign your game's Managers after updating - see the "Updating Adventure Creator" chapter of the Manual.
  • edited December 2017
    Version 1.60.6 was quickly followed by .7 for a minor backtrack, so I'll merge the release notes:

Upgrade note
    • Characters will now turn instantly if their turn speed is negative

• Added: Option for "retro-style" character movement when pathfinding - useful for low-resolution 2D games
    • Added: Ability to optionally set a new Video Clip when using the "Engine: Play movie" Action to manipulate a Video Player
    • Added: Ability to include the video clip asset in the "Remember Video Player" component
    • Added: The "ActionList: Set parameter" Action can now copy its own ActionList's parameter values onto the one referenced
    • Added: "Responds to" field for Unity UI-based InventoryBox elements when right-clicking won't examine the item
    • Added: If a duplicating Subtitles menu is positioned "Above Speaking Character", it can optionally not follow the character as they move
    • Added: The "Save: Check" Action can now be used to check if a profile with a given name exists
    • Added: Ability for "Choose Interaction Then Hotspot" mode to run the selected-Hotspot's first "Use" interaction by invoking the "DefaultInteraction" input
    • Added: Functions to the Hotspot script to more easily retrieve an Button for a given interaction or inventory item
    • Added: Warning message if a Menu is set to render with Unity UI, but no Linked Canvas is supplied
    • Added: If a node is inserted in between two others in a Path, its default position is now the average
    • Changed: If a character has zero turn speed, they will now turn instantly
    • Changed: Characters will now turn instantly if their turn speed is negative, not zero
    • Fixed: “On Start” cutscene not running when a scene is added with the “Scene: Add or remove” Action
    • Fixed: Hotspot inventory interactions not showing the "Use/Give" choice for 2D NPCs if appropriate
    • Fixed: "Combine interactions work in reverse?" option not always showing when appropriate
    • Fixed: Existing SimpleCamera prefabs not being listed in the Scene Manager
    • Fixed: Warning messages showing when Unity UI-based Menus use Custom Animation for transitions (Unity 2017 and newer)
    • Fixed: Rare issue in which the game state is incorrect when a background Cutscene is run while the game is paused
    • Fixed: "Character: Move along path" Action not skipping correctly
    • Fixed: Minor errors with Manual

The big takeaway from this update is the new "Retro movement" option for characters, which causes them to beeline when pathfinding and turn instantly.  This looks less natural, especially in 3D, but in low-res 2D games helps to emulate the classic movement seen in the old SCUMM/SCI games.

• edited December 2017

I installed the latest version on a new project, then opened the 3D demo (made sure to load 3D demo managers), then tested. Using custom made navigation mesh Point and Click works as it should, but if I then switch to Unity Navmesh, bake the navmesh, then play, it doesn't work at all. Tinpot can still path find just fine if I click on hotspots though. Anyway, maybe something has changed since I last used Point and click movement? -Well, it's been ages... (I mostly only use fp or direct control). but last time I tried I think all I had to do was select Unity navigation under the Scene tab and bake a navmesh. Is this a bug or am I missing something?
  • edited December 2017
    Thanks, but Polygon Collider is for 2D only... In 3D it's either custom mesh or Unity Navmesh. Anyway, I'm in no hurry (not doing a regular point and click right now... but maybe soon). I just find it odd that it doesn't work with a Unity Navmesh the way I remember it...
  • Got your floor on the correct layer? (NavMesh)
  • Indeed, the collider must also be on the NavMesh layer in order to be clickable.  If TinPot is still navigating correctly via Hotspots then that sounds like the most likely cause.
  • @zebbi: Be sure to re-assign your Managers after updating before opening your scene.  You can also omit importing the "AdventureCreator/Resources/References" file to prevent this step.