Forum rules - please read before posting.

Jump function not working in Unity 2017+

edited January 2018 in Technical Q&A
I've got a peculiar issue where the jump function has failed to work since I upgraded to Unity 2017. I'm now using Unity 2017.3.0f3 and the player fails to jump when I hit the space bar. A previous version of the project saved in version 5.6.1f1 still works fine. The settings are identical so I'm not clear if this is an upgrade issue (Adventure Creator was also upgraded to version 1.6.02). One thing I did notice though is that when I set the mecanim transition from 'Any State' to 'Jump Up' using the MoveSpeed condition rather that the Jump condition, the character jumps when I move it with the arrow keys, but Jump condition fails to trigger any action, no matter what key I map it to.

I've spent some days trying to figure this out, any thoughts?
Images show settings that work in 5.6 but not in 2017.3.
Thanks.

Comments

• The "Jump" parameter needs to be a Boolean, not a Trigger type.
  • Thanks, I noticed that and tried it earlier but it didn't work. And now, even when it's a Boolean, I'm getting this in the console: Controller 'RobotBoy': Transition '' in state 'AnyState' uses parameter 'Jump' which is not compatible with condition type.
  • edited January 2018
    That sounds like an issue with your Animator rather than AC - are there any references to AC scripts beneath the first line of the Console message?

As this issue seems to concern both the Animator and AC's control over parameters, the first thing to do is to check that AC is now correctly setting the "Jump" boolean parameter value when jumping.  If you temporarily remove the problematic transition the error refers to, and keep the "live" Animator window open at runtime, is the Jump bool set to the correct value?
  • Actually, never mind - I managed to recreate this issue in Unity 2017.3.  A fix will be provided in the next release, thanks for posting.
  • Thanks for looking into this Chris.