Forum rules - please read before posting.

Horizontal movement only

edited March 2018 in Technical Q&A
Good morning. I searched forum for a similar post and I didn't find one so I guess it's either a silly question (and if so sorry about that) or no one made a game with locked the vertical movement :) 
Anyway I'm trying to make a 2D game with only horizontal movement and with mouse interface for interactions. So my question is about the setup of the players character and his animations. Basically I only need Left Right Walk and Idle / Talk.  How I setup animations for something like that? Thank you.

edit : The problem I have right now is that when I look right and I'm in Idle mode and I click to walk left, first shows a small animation walking right then flips then starts walking left...

Comments

• I managed to fix it, I needed to checked the Turn before Walking checkbox!!!! 
  • I needed the same thing for my game.
    I run a Player Constrain Action at the start of a scene to make sure he is locked to one axis.
  • How do you constrain it? I see only the option Movements Disable / Enable
  • Yes, that is correct. Disable Up-Movement and Down-Movement, leave left and right movement enabled.
    Up/Down movement means towards the camera/away from the camera.

• ee.. I don't see any option disable up-movement or down-movement. I only see Movement in general... Can you post me a screenshot with those options? thank you!!!
  • edited March 2018
    Ah, ok. I know why. I assumed you had direct movement (instead of point and click), like in a sidescroller (and in my game).
    With Point and Click these options are not available.
    But you can still use the action list to constrain the player to a specific path. Maybe that works. Create a path (from left to right) and constrain the player to it. I am not sure if that prevents the player from facing forwards/backwards, but you can replace the up/down animations with the left/right animations, so nobody will notice.
  • thank you for your tips! good ideas I will try them