Forum rules - please read before posting.

Single 'Use' Interaction with Double Examine Icon

edited July 2016 in Technical Q&A
I want to display narration text by single click on hotspot (preferably clicking on its label, but that's another question).
My "Settings" are: "Choose Hotspot Then Interaction"; "Select Interaction by Clicking Menu";"See Interactions with: Click On Hotspot".
When "Single 'Use' Interaction" is unchecked I have to click on hotspot, then I see menu with text (no icon!) for examine interaction to click on.
If my Hotspot has checked "Single 'Use' Interaction" there are some strange things.

Now, with mouse over hotspot I see two "Examine" cursor icons (! although in Interaction menu there's "Display type: Text Only") under hotspot label - but I have only one interaction for it. When I replace cursor for this interaction, I see it as first, and "Examine" cursor next to right.

One click works, (additionally - right mouse click does the same work as the left) but I have no control what displays under Hotspot label.

My AC is 1.52a, Unity 5.3.5f1
What is wrong?

Comments

• When Single 'Use' interaction is checked, the Hotspot reverts to the behaviour of the Context Sensitive interaction method, so the settings in the Interaction Menu have no bearing on it.  The icons that get shown are determined by the Interaction icons section of the Cursor Manager.

However, the two icons showing side-by-side should not be appearing - this is a bug, and will be fixed in the next release.  You should be able to remedy this in the meantime by:
    1. Temporarily changing your Interaction method to Context Sensitive in the Settings Manager
    2. Changing the now-visible When Use and Examine interaction icons are both available field in the Cursor Manager to Display Use Icon
    3. Switching back to Choose Hotspot Then Interaction
  • Fine, it works. And I can use cursor without icon if needed. Many thanks for fast reply!
  • edited June 2018
    Hi Chris, I upgraded from v. 1.50i to v. 1.57a that you kindly sent me because I'm still using Unity4, and the issue described above is still present. I tryed the workaround you suggested but the issue still persist. In 1.50i the icons were ok, when updated they become double... there's another workaround I can try? Maybe there's a script from 1.50 I can copy above the 1.57 and if yes, which one?
    Thanks
  • From such an old release, I couldn't say.  The workaround should have addressed it though.

You should be able to get the latest official release importing into Unity 4 just fine.  You'll need to address some minor errors, but afterwards it should compile:

1) Replace "Vector2.left" with "-Vector2.right"
    2) Replace "Vector2.down" with "-Vector2.up"
    3) Remove the "Gizmos.DrawMesh" line in AdvGame.cs
    4) Remove the "AlphanNumericSort.cs" script
  • Thanks @ChrisIceBox
    Cursor issue solved, script from the last release (not the latest but 1.62.2) imported succesfully after your directions but... there's always a but... now speech subtitle displays the previous subtitles lines for a tenth of a second before show the right subtitle. 
    Already tryed to remove the flag from "Retain subtitle text buffer..." with no effects. The strange thing is that sometimes it shows the previous speech lines and sometimes not... 
  • Check "Duplicate for each line?" in the Menu's properties.
  • Yeeeeeeeeh! Solved! Many many thanks! Now I can continue with the latest version of AC even in Unity 4! Wonderful! :)