Forum rules - please read before posting.

Mixamo Animations not working correctly but look fine in the preview

I was following allow with the excellent tutorial, Recreating Unity's Adventure Game, that Chris made but I wanted to use the Animations from Mixamo rather than the ones loaded up in the tutorial assets. I thought this would be pretty easy actually but when I click on the ground the player walks two steps (right and left) and then does a weird shuffling baby steps walk to where I clicked. At first I thought the animation wasn't compatible or something but it runs perfectly in the preview window (with the girl character loaded in). Note: That's the only thing that I altered. Everything else remained the same. 

It's simple to reproduce. Just load up a walking animation from Mixamom I used the one from the farming pack (not carrying anything one) but tried others as well, and substitute it in for the walking animation that is used in the tutorial.

I'm desperate to get this fixed as I've really fallen in love with Adventure Creator (I am a programmer and do well with C# but Chris' asset saves me so much time) but as I am a one man show (Indie) I have no choice but to use Mixamo animations. It's a show stopper unless I can get this resolved. :-( 

Comments

• edited June 2018
    @Scimajor Umm, well, I'm can't recall if Mixamo animations use Unity's Humanoid skeleton, just in case double check with a Mixamo character. Anyway, do play around with your Animator controller and the speed parameters in the AC player script. Foot sliding and other walking/running glitches are usually due to wrongly setup Animator Controllers. Make sure your "speed" parameter conditions are correct and that the transitions between your looping animation states to the rest of the states don't have "Has exit time" ticked on (you don't want Unity waiting before switching to a walk/run animation, since it'll cause the animation to stop for a while when switch switching transitions).
  • edited June 2018
    I've always had great experiences with the Mixamo animations in Unity. It really seems to be a specific issue with Adventure Creator. Either that or I'm just losing my mind on some silly issue that I've never run into before when using Mixamo animations. 

Note: The walk animation runs perfectly for the first loop and then goes completely nuts. Also, there is no transition between animations happening here (it's in the walk animation the whole time). It just that after the first 2 steps it starts to shuffle in tiny steps at a very low rate of speed. 

I've already powered through 3 days trying to resolve this. ACK! If I can't use Mixamo animations I can't user Adventure Creator.
  • Welcome to the community, @Scimajor.

What we need to determine right now is whether or not the behaviour is down to your animation, or AC's own motion control.  Are you relying on root motion in your animations?  If you are, then AC won't move the Player itself - but simply control the various Animator parameters that you define in your Player's Inspector.  In this case, it's recommended to control your Idle/Walk transitions via a Blend Tree - because it's easy for a character to overshoot their target otherwise, which'll cause them to get stuck in a loop.  For more on this, see the Manual's "Precision movement" chapter.  

Either way, if you'd like to post some screenshots of your character's set-up (Inspector, Animator, and example of when it goes wrong), then we can see if there's anything immediately obvious.
  • Hi. Sorry for the late response. I was in the mountains where there is spotty cell coverage at best. 

Based on your comments I'm not sure I explained myself correctly. My setup is completely identical what is in the "Recreating Unity's adventure game" tutorial ( https://adventurecreator.org/tutorials/recreating-unitys-adventure-game ). 

The one and ONLY thing I changed was to reassign the walking animation, which is a root motion animation, from the animation that comes with the assets that one imports for the tutorial. I reassigned the animation in the Animator (yes, it's a blend tree) to a walk animation downloaded from Mixamo. Also, the animation plays perfectly in the preview with the prefab used in the tutorial. It just doesn't play correctly, after the first loop, in the actual game.  
  • So the same "punk girl" character model, just a swapped-out walk animation?  And an (otherwise unmodified) ClickToMove Animator Controller?

Without seeing any details of the asset itself I can't give much in the way of specific advice, but if you'd like to PM me the animation file (ideally the modified Player prefab and Animator Controller too, to be safe) as a .unitypackage file, I'll take a look at it.
  • Sent the files. Just making sure you got them. Thanks for the help.
  • I'm out of the office during weekends, but have them now.

I've replied to your PM but for the benefit of those with the same problem in the future: this was because the animation was not configured to loop in its import Inspector.
  • Confirmed. All I needed to to was to check "Loop Time". Thanks Chris. Huge sign of relief!!! You've save me a ton of time.

I can't believe I missed that. 

Also to help those who have a similar issue. "Loop Time" was grayed out in the inspector when I clicked on the animation but clicking "Edit" brought me back up to the level where I could adjust the settings.