Forum rules - please read before posting.

Dialogue word count

Hi,

Is there an easy way to find out how many words are used as well as how many lines in the complete game?

This would help with localisation as the price is based per word

Thanks

James

Comments

• Open the AC Game Editor, and choose the "Speech" tab.

Scroll to the bottom of the panel and you should see Gather Text button.

This will run through all the scenes/actions/objects in the game looking for all speech.

You'll then be able to hit the "Export text..." button to export it all.

Open it up in Word and you can do a word count.

You can also export the script sheet from here, which is ideal if you are looking to create various translations.

Hope this helps?

Kev

• How do I ensure that the ID column is not exported though?
  • Not sure you can. However, it is just a comma separated text file, so very easy to manipulate. There are many ways to do it, but i'll show you how I would approach it:

1:  Open a new blank sheet in Excel. Open the "Data" tab and choose "From Text/CSV".

Now choose the CSV file you have exported and click ok. You should see an import wizard as below:
    You'll see it has already split it into two columns. However, just to be sure, I changed the delimiter to a custom pipe symbol "|" .

Click "Load" and it'll appear in a sheet as below:

What you do with it from here is up to you. If you just want a word count, copy the text in the second column and paste it into MS Word, where you can do a word count.

I hope this helps?

Kev
  • Awesome thank you!