Forum rules - please read before posting.

Count down function that can be stopped

Hi, I am trying to achieve the effect of delaying the run of an Actionlist, while such delay can be controlled.

For example, when there is a game section that has a time limit, and after the time limit an Actionlist for game over will run. I can do that by using Engine:wait. However, when there are conversations or dialog, I wish to pause the time limit count down. I tried to modify the Engine:wait action but no luck. Is there a way to achieve such effect? Thanks

Comments

• The new version of AC allows actionlists to run in the background. One use case for this is aging items, which I have a partial tutorial here which you may find useful.
    Aging Items

However, to stop a timer I think you would have to rely on a global variable.
    Lets assume 60 seconds.
    Create a Global Variable called Timer with an Integer value of 60.

Create an actionList asset that waits 1 second, then decrements the value by one. Have this run in a loop.

Each time you want to pause it, stop the action, play whatever you need, then launch it again to start decrementing the variable.

I haven't done this myself, so you may have to experiment, but thats probably how I would approach it.

Kev
  • Thanks Kev. It's a smart solution. But it seems when I pause the looping actionlist, it will be considered finished and go to the next step. So I turned out using another boolean to pause/resume counting.
  • Pausing as in ActionList: Pause or resume?

What is it that's being considered finished, the Action that was running at the time, or the whole ActionList?  v1.65 introduces the ability to re-start the Action that was running at the time of pause, when resuming it.
  • If you add a variable check to the decrementing action, ie if variable >0 then decrease by 1, else run the next action. The action will only run when the global variable reaches zero.
  • Hi Chris,

Pausing as in ActionList: Pause or resume?
    Yes

--------------------------------

What is it that's being considered finished, the Action that was running at the time, or the whole ActionList?
    I turned the looping actionlist Kev suggested into an looping actionlist asset, with the parameter to set the time to count down.

The main actions flow is like:
    Actionlist Run: looping actionlist asset -> next action when the count down parameter reaches zero.

But however, when I pause the looping actionlist asset (the pause action is called from run parallel), it goes directly to the next action.
  • Thanks Kev,

ie if variable >0 then decrease by 1, else run the next action.
    That's what I came up with too
  • @Rekize - Sorry, you'll have to detail this in a new thread with AC/Unity versions, as well as screenshots to illustrate the problem properly.  I'll need more info in order to recreate this.