Forum rules - please read before posting.

Menu position relative to NPc?

Is it possible? I'm trying to put a subtitle menu on the side of the character. I can't put it above because the character is huge almost half screen so I need to position it next to him relative to his position.

Comments

• Never mind I just discovered the magic of Speech menu placement child :) I couldn't find it on the manual though.. :)
  • Noted, thanks.
  • edited February 2019

How does one use the Speech menu placement child?
    I couldn't find any explanation for it in the manual...

• Explanations are given in both the "Adventure Creator menus" and "Unity UI menus" chapters - in the "Position type" field explanation section.

• Hi Chris, this is the only explanation I can find...:
    "PROTIP: When a Menu is set to appear above a character, AC will attempt to
    determine where that character's head is. However, you can specify exactly
    where to place the Menu by defining a Speech menu placement child for that
    character."

This lets me know that such a feature exists but not how to use it... can you please paste the part that gives the explanation as I seem to be unable to fid it myself.
    I've tried to create a a child GO and positioned its transform in the location I wanted and dragged said child into the speech menu placement slot in the character's inspector but that did not work... Do I need to add any specific component to said child other than the default transform component?

• I've tried to create a a child GO and positioned its transform in the location I wanted and dragged said child into the speech menu placement slot in the character's inspector

That's exactly the process - that should be enough, provided that your menu is correctly set up.

Is your Menu rendered with Unity UI or AC? If Unity UI, you'll also need to define a RectTransform boundary. Otherwise, it may be a bug - in which case, please share screenshots to illustrate the issue, as well as your AC/Unity version numbers.

• edited February 2019

Menu is rendered with AC.
    Unity Ver 2017.2.0f3
    AC Ver 1.66.4
    See screens of the menu, the child with the transform location above chara + chara inspector, and an in-game pic showing the location of the subtitles way-off...

• When your Menu is rendered with AC, it is positioned relative to the "white dot" that appears in the preview window - which appears when the Menu can be re-positioned at runtime.

Reduce the X and Y position values for the Menu so that the white dot appears in its centre. For an example on a similar menu, see the Subtitles menu in the 2DDemo_MenuManager asset file.