Forum rules - please read before posting.

Character Controller Not Adhering to Movement Speed?

I am trying to use the Character Controller on a 3D character but am having trouble in regards to the movement speed. I can get it to run by increasing the movement speed scale to 1.6 - though the Animator's Blend Tree Threshold is set to to 1. However, after enabling running, the character will then always run whenever movement is started, rather than only running when run is pressed. If I lower the movement speed scale, then I can't get him to run at all.

Comments

• *This is with the Direct Control method. Point & Click seems to work as intended.

• AC and Unity versions, please.

though the Animator's Blend Tree Threshold is set to to 1

As in, WalkFwd's Threshold is 0.5, and RunFwd's is 1? Your walk and run movement speeds in the Player Inspector should match these values. If you need him to move physically faster, set the values in the Player Inspector and then increase your Blend Tree thresholds to match.

I don't quite follow the issue. Is his "Speed" parameter being set to 1.6 even when not holding down the "Run" input, but after pressing it once? Are you mapping to the "ToggleRun" input by mistake?

• Unity 2018.3.6
    AC 1.66.8

"WalkFwd's Threshold is 0.5, and RunFwd's is 1?"
    That's correct.

So here in the video I have set the Player Inspector's Walk and Run speeds to match the Blend Tree Thresholds (like in the 2.5d tutorial). You can see he never runs, even though the speed on the Blend Tree is increased.
    You can also see near the end of the video, the speed always goes to 1 - even though I was not pressing run here. Once it has been pressed it will always set to run speed, even though I have used only Run input and not RunToggle.

Hopefully I have explained it a little better this time.

• You can see he never runs, even though the speed on the Blend Tree is increased.

That looks to be an issue with your Animator. When the speed is 1, the BlendTree is playing its "RunFwd" animation. That it appears like a walk animation looks to be an issue with the Animator itself. Does "RunFwd" look correct when previewed in its Inspector?

You can also see near the end of the video, the speed always goes to 1 - even though I was not pressing run here.

Any custom scripts involved?

Does it occur with either:

• The same player, but with the Character Controller removed?
    • TinPot, dropped into the scene file from /AdventureCreator/Demo/Resources?
  • RunFwd looks correct in the animator, yes (btw, they are the animations that come with Opsive's controller).

No custom scripts on the character. The issue still occurs with both Tinpot and my character with the CC removed.

• edited February 2019

Not for me - I can't recreate any kind of "permanent running" issue with Tin Pot. What occurs if you use the default Tin Pot, with the Demo_SettingsManager assigned in a fresh scene, but with Movement method set to Direct?

If you can provide clear steps for me to experience the issue with the Demo game's assets, that'll help to understand the problem.

Check your inputs, too - what are the input settings for your Run axis/axes?

• Sorry, my fault - I didn't set a "Negative Button" for the run input. I have it working now, though I still had to set the run speed to 1.6 instead of 1.
    But, it works. :)