Forum rules - please read before posting.

Dialogue menu options

I'm fairly new to Adventure Creator and I've been trying to learn how to use and customize the dialogue system, but I've run into a few issues I can't seem figure out;

My goal is to have the dialogue options for the player appear above the player character, and then the NPC response to appear above the NPC, both of which be only text with no background texture.

In the game editor, under "Menu" I set background texture to "none", and position to "above speaking character", but these options only seem to have affected the player's dialogue options, because when the NPC text box pops up, it still has the background and it is still center screen. Also, the player's dialogue options don't pop up above the player character, rather they appear in random places around the screen. I went through every menu category and set all the background textures to "none", but I still can't get rid of the NPC dialogue texture, and I'm not sure how to let adventure creator know that the dialogue options are supposed to be the words of the player character.

I hope I've described my issue well enough to be understood, if not, I'll try to clarify. Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Keep in mind that dialogue options and subtitles are separate entities, and are also displayed in separate menus.  To display speech text, you want a Label element of type "Dialogue Line".  To display a dialogue option, you want a DialogList element.

Use the 3D Demo's Menu Manager for reference - they're kept in the Conversation and Subtitle menus respectively.

"Above speaking character" won't work for a Conversation menu (i.e. one that's Appear type is set to "During Conversation" because when they are displayed - no characters are actually talking).  You may be able to make use of AC's upcoming Unity UI integration to accomplish this, however.
  • "Above speaking character" won't work for a Conversation menu (i.e. one that's Appear type is set to "During Conversation" because when they are displayed - no characters are actually talking).

Is this still true? I have set up my conversation menu to pop up over the speaking character. When I first click a NPC the menu is positioned in the top left corner. But after the NPC has said her dialogue line the conversation menu is positioned over the NPC. Is there a way to set Speaking Character before I activate the conversation menu for the first time?

• If the Menu's Position property is set to Above Speaking Character, then the Menu will appear above the last character to speak.

However, by changing it to Manual, you have full control over its position via scripting. What code is required, though, depends on how your Menu is rendered. Are you using Unity UI to display the Menu, and if so, is it in Screen or Camera Space?