Forum rules - please read before posting.

Scroll View Issue

I've come across an error with using my Unity UI's In scene menu. The Scroll VIew used to host the dialogue options is not displaying the buttons when the dialogue menu is turned on and the menu is in the scene. I have tested to make sure the menu is receiving information from AC and it is, the NPC dialogue text box is displaying the dialogue well.

The buttons in the scroll view are linked up and are being referenced correctly by the menu manager, but the buttons remain off despite there being options in the conversation that needs to be displayed.

Do you know what could be causing this and how to fix it? I've tried all yesterday to get it working, but even fresh scroll views do not work.

Comments

• Please always be sure to post your AC and Unity versions.

I'm not clear on the issue. You're saying that the buttons are not correctly displaying all of the options? I'd appreciate you elaborating more on this.

Are you referring to the left or the right sides of the screenshot, and what should it be looking like? I will need the Conversation Inspector that should be displayed, the Menu's properties in the Menu Manager. Do UI Button GameObjects have Constant ID values that match up in the DialogList menu element's properties box?

• Sorry:

Unity: 2018.3
    AC: 1.66

The scroll view should be on the left-hand side displaying the options like this:

But they aren't. The buttons were working a few days ago and now they are not. They should be working fine since everything seems to be in order.

The menu manager for the conversation menu:

The conversation menu's inspector:

The constant ID values do match up and I can ping them:

The menu is in Unity In-Scene so I can work with lighting effects in the background.

• If they were working fine, and you didn't update AC/Unity since they stopped, there must have been some other change made that caused this. Can you think of any such change you may have made?

The Button components have Text children - do these Text components have their associated "dialogue option" label correctly set, even if the Button themselves are disabled?

What is the effect of setting the DialogList element's When invisible field to Clear Content?

Try also converting the Source option to Unity Ui Prefab, linking the Canvas prefab field and removing it from the scene.

An issue regarding "Unity UI In Scene" menus not loading correctly after loading a save game file was fixed in v1.66.7 - is this occuring after such an event?

• edited March 2019

The text objects are children of the buttons. They are activating as normal but because the buttons are not activating, they cannot be seen.

Changing to clear content did not change anything. The buttons still refused to appear.

I tried converting the source to prefab, the canvas was linked and removed from the scene, but when it activated it still did not display the dialogue options.

Saving is not yet implemented since this would be a short demo.

• I'm still not seeing the Conversation itself. Your first option's label is set to "Dialogue option 1"?

Since your Appear type is set to Manual, it may not picking up the active conversation, and you'd have to do it via script, i.e.:

MenuDialogList dialogList = PlayerMenus.GetElementWithName ("Conversation", "Dialogue List") as MenuDialogList;
    dialogList.OverrideConversation = myConversation;

You can check if this is the case by setting this value to During Conversation.

• edited March 2019

Ok, so I set it to during conversation and it worked!
    That is very strange since I thought the Manual Conversation being in the room. would allow it to work in manual.

Though, this also means that the manual conversation script isn't working.

The code you sent, what component should it be inserted into?

Update: When I click on the option when in during conversation mode, the screen will go blank.

• That is very strange since I thought the Manual Conversation being in the room. would allow it to work in manual.

If it's Manual, there's no automation. It's correct that you would have to manually-assign it.

The code you sent, what component should it be inserted into?

It wasn't a sample script, just an example. Something like this would be a proper script:

http://pasteall.org/1549666/csharp

Paste that into a C# script named "ManualConversation", and attach to a new GameObject in your scene.

Update: When I click on the option when in during conversation mode, the screen will go blank.

Please elaborate. The whole Game window turns black? What is the state of the Canvas that may cause this. What of the Console?

• The canvas will shut off as if the menu had turned off.

I placed the code into the manual conversation script and attached it to an empty game object inside the room. But running the game didn't make the scroll view buttons appear.

• Sorry, but I can't glean anything from a screenshot so small. Still no Conversation Inspector, either.

If you can create a .unitypackage with your Managers, prefabs / associated graphics, and a test scene that clearly demonstrates the problem, I'll take a look.

• edited March 2019

I can send you a package with a test room that shows the problem.
    How should I send it to you?

• PM the .unitypackage file, but please be sure to include all associated files.