Forum rules - please read before posting.

Animated 2.5D backgrounds

Version: Unity 2018.3

I am making a 2.5D version of my old game. Is there a way to animate the backgrounds in any way?

Comments

• If you animate elements of your background in Photoshop for example, you can export as video and export frames. Then import these numbered frames into Unity as sprites. Select them all in the project tab and drag them into your scene, they will import as an animation.

Take a look at importing animations in unity on youtube if unsure how to use that new anim. file.

• It's possible to set a background texture as a MovieTexture, though Unity will be deprecating this in a future release. If you use a separate application to merge your animated frames into a movie file, you should be able to use them as a regular 2.5D backgound image.

For a sprite-based animation as @JackAnimated describes, you can insert the background sprite into the scene as a separate object - ignoring AC's own "Background Image" component. Using the Align To Camera and Limit Visibility components, you can position it behind your walkable area and limit its display to only when the appropriate camera is active.

• Will there be support for animated backgrounds in future updates of AC?

• What file would that be? I tried using an mp4 file but the background cameras don't recognise it. Gif files remain static.

• I am looking into allowing the use of VideoClips for 2.5D backgrounds, yes.

In the meantime, either stick to an earlier Unity release or go with the background sprite method I described above.

• Thanks, Chris!