Forum rules - please read before posting.

Player Starts

I know that we can now have AC reference which scene the player has come from to specify which Player Start to use, however, I don't currently see a way of knowing which entry point into a scene the player has used.

For example, there are two rooms, separated by two doors. The player could go from Room A into Room B, and the Player Start in Room B will have Room A as the scene the player has just come from. However, which door the player uses is not in consideration, only the scene they are going to / coming from.

So basically, how could you specify the multiple entry points into the scene from the current scene, and have player starts in different places. You might have a door and a ladder going from Scene A into scene B for example, but since they are both in the same scene, the player will always start at wherever scene B's player start is which states the player is coming from scene A.

...I tried to explain the best I could

:-/ 

Comments

• A non-default PlayerStart is really more of a convenience than anything - you can achieve the same effect with an Object: Teleport and Camera: Switch Actions in your OnStart Cutscene.

While a single PlayerStart per-scene is handy for most cases, you can instead rely on a Global Variable to keep track of which way the Player enters Scene B from Scene A by.  Setting that variable before exiting Scene A, and checking it when entering Scene B, would let you teleport the player to the appropriate spot.
  • Yeah, there's always a way around things when you think it through. Thanks for the advice Chris.
  • Hi!

Is this still the way to do this? If so, where do you have to teleport the player? I understand he is supposed to be teleport to a marker that is placed in the new scene and I can't find that marker in current scene.

Thanks.

• What marker can't you find? All scenes have a player start marker by default, but you can also put down a "normal" marker to teleport the player to (it doesn't have to be a marker though, it's just the transform values that matter really).

• So, I want to go from scene A to scene B, right? I assume, that what I have to do is set a hotspot on A to initiate my Object: Teleport action, and a marker in B where the player will teleport. Is this marker in B that I can't find in the Action I am setting in A.

I hope I am explaining myself properly.

Thanks for such a quick reply!

• Wait, I missread. We are doing the teleporting on start. Sorry for that!