Forum rules - please read before posting.

Disable and enable inventory item's 'use' action lists on command (PARTIALLY SOLVED)

edited June 2019 in Technical Q&A

Hi all and Chris.

I hope everyone is well.

I'm wondering if it's possible to only activate the 'use' action list assigned to an inventory item after the player has run the 'examine' action list.

My example:

The player picks us a piece of paper with writing on it but should only be able to use it once it's been read as it's a spell. Currently, when I hover over the inventory item, both use and examine icons appear which isn't what I want as it's important that the player reads the spell first.

I've tried a few things but I'm pretty stumped. Any help is much appreciated. I'm using the method point and click and interaction method context sensitive.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• I've actually found a workaround I'm happy with. I 'killed' the 'use' action list if the global variable for reading it first wasn't set to true. The player then says a line prompting the spell to be read which is then activated when it's actually read and the variable is then set to true.

I hope that makes sense.

• Welcome back, @Escara.

You can certainly use a Global Variable to determine the result of running the "Use" interaction, but alternatively you could try creating a second inventory item with the same name and texture, but without the "Use" interaction.

The "Examine" interaction could then include an Inventory: Add or remove Action that replaces this "dummy" item with the one that has both interaction types.

• Thanks Chris!

I've been busy beavering away on my game and have been ok until recently.

That's a great idea, I will use that.

Thanks very much for the suggestion.