Forum rules - please read before posting.

Rich Text sometimes creating blobs of text

Hello community,

Rich text works when creating dialogue using Adventure Creator. However, I have run into an intermittent issue that seems to follow no pattern. Sometimes, the rich text will overlay the outline and shadow text effect as well as the text itself, rendering it unreadable (see screenshots):

https://imgur.com/a/SXR0b6b

In the above screenshots you can see that "PPH's" is written in white. Then in the other screenshot "Planetary Positioning Huts" is written, but the rich text has converted it into the unreadable blob. Very strange. It seems to follow no pattern. Here is some more info:

• I have tried this with all kinds of phrases (upper case letters, spaces, multiple words, etc.) sometimes it occurs, sometimes not.
  • When text effects are disabled, the issue goes away. This leads me to believe that this issue is related to text effects.
  • I have the text effects enabled to "Outline and Shadow" and the effect size is 5.
  • The screenshots above are from playing the game in the inspector.

Let me know if you have any ideas at all. Thanks!

Comments

• Is there consistency in terms of which speech lines are affected, or will the "Planetary Positioning Huts" example sometimes display correctly?

Does the fact that "Playnetary Positioning Huts" is at the start of the sentence have any bearing? Does it persist if you insert a test word in front of it?

The screenshot suggests that what's happening is that the text effects are being drawn in the same colour as the rich text. This shouldn't occur, since its explicitly being told to draw it in black.

What are your AC and Unity versions? This may be a Unity issue - your screenshots suggest you're using a beta release of Unity 2019.2/3. Is this the case?

That you refer to the Text effects field suggests you've set your Menu's Source property to Adventure Creator. This mode relies on Unity's OnGUI code to render the menu, which I believe Unity are beginning to phase out, and will not be supported in the long run.

I recommend switching to Unity UI for your menu's display, as this is supported and won't have such an issue. Each of AC's default menus have a Unity UI variant, and a tutorial on converting a menu to Unity UI can be found here.

• Thanks for responding Chris. I appreciate it. The issue doesn't seem to stem from the position of the text in the dialogue line, whether it's at the beginning or not. The same text will display correctly sometimes and incorrectly other times. It is seemingly totally at random.

And yes, I am using the latest version of AC (1.68.3) and Unity 2019.3.0a7.

That's a bummer to hear that Unity's OnGUI is being phased out. My game is nearly complete after years of development, and having to recreating dozens of menus is such a let down. Wow. That stinks.

Thanks again for letting me know. I'll have to take a look at how to convert menus then.