Forum rules - please read before posting.

Productivity boosters for the Action List editor :)

Hi there!

After working a lot in the Action List editor for a good while now, here's a few suggestions for boosting productivity :)

1. An option locate/scroll to a specific action nr. in the list
  2. Support for page up/down keys
  3. Keyboard shortcuts for Add new action, Delete, Cut, Copy, Paste, Auto-arrange, Run and Select all
  4. Click the cogwheel on an action -> "Insert copy after" to create a copy of the current action and connect it as the next in line
  5. "Move to front" (if not followed by another action) should not only move the selected action to the front but also automatically connect the previous "front action" as the next in line
  6. "Character: Move to point" (if wait until finish) should have a "copy rotation" just like "Object: Teleport" does (to alleviate the need for adding a "Character: Face direction" after it)
  7. "ActionList: Run" should have 2 paths as opposed to 1 by default

Thanks!

Comments

• I am 200% in support of item 6 on this list. It is almost never the case that I want a character to walk to somewhere and then continue facing whatever random direction he's facing when he gets there.

• An option locate/scroll to a specific action nr. in the list

This is already possible by right-clicking the preceding Action's output socket. I am open to suggestions on how else Actions may be auto-located.

Support for page up/down keys
    Keyboard shortcuts for Add new action, Delete, Cut, Copy, Paste, Auto-arrange, Run and Select all

These are somewhat dependent on what control Unity offers custom windows, but I shall consider what can be done.

Click the cogwheel on an action -> "Insert copy after" to create a copy of the current action and connect it as the next in line

I'd need some convincing here as to why this would be useful.

"Move to front" (if not followed by another action) should not only move the selected action to the front but also automatically connect the previous "front action" as the next in line

Agreed.

"Character: Move to point" (if wait until finish) should have a "copy rotation" just like "Object: Teleport" does (to alleviate the need for adding a "Character: Face direction" after it)

Generally speaking, any such case where two or more Actions are used often in succession should be combined in a separate ActionList asset that uses parameters to allow recycling. I accept, however, that this particular case is frequent enough to warrant consideration.

"ActionList: Run" should have 2 paths as opposed to 1 by default

As in, output sockets? Not possible, I'm afraid.

• Regarding 1, the use case is when you open a big list and are looking for a specific action (and you still don't know which one us the previous one).
    I'd love a drop down of all actions (maybe near the ping button) that would auto scroll to it and select it.

Regarding 4, I found myself doing this manually a lot when working with speech actions, setting multiple variables, starting multiple animations etc.

Regarding 7, sorry brain fart - I ment to say that "Action List: Run in parallel" should default to 2 output sockets
  • I'd love a drop down of all actions (maybe near the ping button) that would auto scroll to it and select it.

Interesting idea, I will give it some thought.

I ment to say that "Action List: Run in parallel" should default to 2 output sockets

In that case, I agree.

• Thanks for fixing a lot of these in the latest update :)
    Loving the frame action feature - big time saver!