Forum rules - please read before posting.

[SOLVED] [2D] Custom turning animation

edited April 2014 in Technical Q&A
Hi,

I am currently working on 2D with 2D Toolkit and I am trying to use a custom turn animation (the character only walks along one axis). Is this supported in any way with the current version of AC? Thanks!

Comments

• I reckon you'd have an easier time getting around this using Unity Sprites as your animation engine, since you can make use of Mecanim variables. A custom script could work out the sprite's direction, relative position to the mouse etc., and control a parameter used to play either a TurnLeft or TurnRight animation.

Then again, if you're turn animation was only 3 frames long, you could always try splitting them into the Walk_DR, Walk_D and Walk_DL clips.
  • Thanks for answering, Chris.

True, Mecanim would offer an instant solution, but for a numer of reasons I am using 2D Toolkit (which is quite ironic, because back in November/December I asked you about native 2D support for AC).

I'll try to play around with existing clips, but if this will not suffice, I guess I will experiment with injecting an additional turning clip.

• One extra question Chris - can you suggest if turning (ie. for 2D changing the played directional animation or mirroring R or L anim) is handled per animation system or somewhere in generic, shared code base related to navigation? I started digging, but you might save me a lot of time if you drop a file name or a similar tip. Cheers!
  • The 2D direction is handled in the Char script - look for the GetSpriteDirection and SetSpriteDirection functions.

However, you may prefer to wait for 1.29 - which will feature a new animation engine called "Sprites Unity Complex".  It works much like the Mecanim implementation - if you give it a move speed parameter, and a direction parameter, it'll update both on the fly, allowing you to implement your own custom FSM as you see fit.  This way, you could have a custom animation play from Idle_L to Walk_R, for example.
  • Following up on this, is the Sprites Unity Complex system able to service 2d toolkit sprites or is it just for native 2d sprites?
  • That sounds awesome Chris. Can't wait!
  • edited April 2014
    @domx: 'Fraid not - it's really just a way of manipulating Mecanim, not the sprites themselves.
  • Too bad :( I will try to resolve this script-wise then. Thanks for your help and pointers!