Forum rules - please read before posting.

Resetting a Scene and a whole game (new game after the first playthrough),Selective Reset(New Game+)

edited December 2019 in Technical Q&A

Hi there,

is there a builtin way to "reset" a scene?

Let's suppose a scene is one big puzzle or brain teaser, the player saves the game in an unsolvable state and that at some point would love to "reset" a scene (basically ignoring all loaded data from the savegame about that scene only).

Is this something that is already possible to do?

What if the player completes the game and then wanted to begin a new game?

At the moment he'd find all solved puzzles on a second playthrough.

Is there a function to reset the whole game state (exception made for options and variables linked to options?)

What if I wanted to keep track of just a few values (e.g: the player completed the game once, on a specific difficulty setting), and then start a new game?

Comments

• In the Engine: End Game action, you can select Reset Game. This should reset all variables, object positions, materials, inventory etc to their "default" values. Hopefully @ChrisIceBox can confirm this, as I plan to to use it for a Main Menu / "New Game" behaviour. There is also a Reset Scene option, though I'm not sure what it does as of yet.

As for continuing with "New Game +" with unlocks and such, I'm not sure how you would exclude variables from being reset.

• Yes, the Engine: End game Action can be used to both reset the scene and restart the game. Resetting the scene will simply reset all of its Remember component data, and reloads the scene.

Linking select Global Variables to Options Data would be a way to keep track of data spanning multiple playthroughs. A variable linked to Options Data will be unique to that player's profile, not their save game file.