Forum rules - please read before posting.

Advanced new Input system Integration

Hi, I have seen the new input system integration in the wiki, and while it's great as a starting point, it doesn't make use of the new input systems great event based functionality. Is there currently a way to integrate this? (That way AC wouldn't need to ask for all the inputs every frame, especially since we don't use most of them)

Comments

• The script's certainly intended to be a starting point, rather than a catch-all complete integration, but it won't change the way AC itself reads inputs.

It should be possible to modify it to have events update values returned in the various Custom_ functions, though.

• Great, thanks for the info. Will look into it.

• @ChrisIceBox Hi Chris, I've been exploring the new Input System Integration, but I can't seem to figure out how to use the new Custom_GetButtonDown() functions to replace Unity's default OnButtonDown() handlers. Do you think you could point me in the right direction?

How does one use the Custom_GetButtonDown() as an event handler?

• edited August 2021

You can't directly replace Unity's input handlers, just avoid calling them.

The wiki script's Custom_GetButtonDown override's AC's own InputGetButtonDown function, which AC will call as an alternative to Unity's Input.GetButtonDown when checking for AC-specific inputs.

If you want a custom script to rely on AC's input checks instead of Unity's, replace e.g.:

if (Input.GetButtonDown ("myButton"))

with:

if (AC.KickStarter.playerInput.InputGetButtonDown ("myButton"))