Forum rules - please read before posting.

Import variables

edited July 2020 in Technical Q&A

Hey Chris,

is it possible to import ActionLists Assets and (Global) Variables from a project B into project A and have the variables from B added to / merged with A?

I wonder how far I can modularize my work by creating "mini" AC projects that I can choose to add to main AC projects if required …

Comments

• ActionList assets can be exported/imported easily enough. The issue when it comes to variables is that they are referenced by ID number - and such numbers may not be the same if variables with matching IDs already exist.

For example, if project B has variables 0, 1, 2 - and project A has 0, 1 - then you'd either have to overwrite 0, 1 or import them as 0, 1, 2, 3, 4.

The best way to keep ActionList assets self-contained is to rely on parameters of the type "Global Variable". When inserted into e.g. Variable: Set Actions, you can still set a "Placeholder type" e.g. Float to be able to insert new values.

You can then precede the Actions with ActionList: Set parameter Actions to sync up these parameters with the Global Variables specific to the project.