Forum rules - please read before posting.

Issue crossfading ambience tracks

edited July 2020 in Technical Q&A

I have two ambience tracks, night_ambience and morning_ambience, which are 30s long each. At night, night_ambience is set to loop until the game clock reaches 6am - then I trigger an actionlist that is supposed to crossfade morning_ambience in over 10 seconds.

The problem is that this doesn't always work. These are my observations (please correct me if I'm wrong):

If "Queue?" is unchecked, and the actionlist is triggered when night_ambience is anywhere between :00 and :20, the crossfade starts immediately and goes smoothly.

If "Queue?" is checked and the actionlist is triggered when night_ambience is anywhere between :00 and :20, the crossfade starts at 00:20 and goes smoothly.

Whether "Queue?" is checked or unchecked, and the actionlist is triggered when night_ambience is anywhere between :21 and :30, the crossfade starts immediately and goes smoothly only until night_ambience reaches :30. Then night_ambience drops off abruptly. The closer to :30 the actionlist was triggered, the more abrupt it sounds.

I imagine this happens because when a crossfade starts, night_ambience is instructed to stop looping. To fix the problem, it'd have to be instructed to stop looping only after its volume was crossfaded to 0.

Also, I haven't tested this with music tracks, but I'm assuming the behaviour would be the same?

Comments

• ^ That was the main issue. Another minor issue I found was that if in the middle of a crossfade between tracks #1 and #2, you start a crossfade into track #3, #1 is dropped immediately, and the crossfade happens between track #2 and #3. It would be nice if both track #1 and #2 slowly faded out instead.

A real-life example of this usage would be if my scene contained an outdoor and an indoor location, and I crossfaded ambience_night_indoor and ambience_night_outdoor whenever the character entered or left a house. If they entered the house during the transition from night to morning, it would sound glitchy.

• edited July 2020

Currently, only one crossfading effect is possible at a time.

Thanks for the bug report - both music and ambience rely on the same system, so likely music has this issue as well.

I'll look into this and let you know if I need more details.

• Recreated. If you open up MusicCrossfade.cs, look for the FadeOut function at the bottom. In the middle of it, insert the following:

_audioSource.loop = audioSourceToCopy.loop;

Does that reolves it?

On the second issue (multiple crossfading effects), I will look into enabling this in the next release.

• It does, thank you! Now fading out works no matter where in the loop it starts.

Also thanks for looking into enabling it, that would be great.