Forum rules - please read before posting.

Text on top of BG

Hey Chris,

Is it possible to have dialog text on top of a black BG?

Also - I have an 2d intro cutscene I'm animating, what steps would you take to play it?

Thanks!

Comments

• Another quick Q - If the player is moving while they select a hotspot, the player continues to move. I've tried so many different possibilities to stop this from happening. (Stop moving, changing speed to 0, disabling controls) The only one that works is starting a cutscene. Thoughts?
  • edited November 2014
    Is it possible to have dialog text on top of a black BG?

If you mean full-screen black, just create another menu above it in the list.  Resize it to 100% screen size, give it a black texture, and set it's Appear type to When Speech Plays.

I have an 2d intro cutscene I'm animating, what steps would you take to play it?

As in a video file?  Try this.

If the player is moving while they select a hotspot, the player
    continues to move. I've tried so many different possibilities to stop
    this from happening. (Stop moving, changing speed to 0, disabling
    controls) The only one that works is starting a cutscene. Thoughts?

That should probably be added as an option in the Settings Manager.  What's your Interaction method set to?
  • If I wanted the Black Texture to only appear when the narrator is speaking. (aka no character is speaking) would I create a new menu?

My interaction method is Direct/Controller/Context Sensitive
  • I figured out you can have special events for narration vs characters speaking! :D
  • Now I'm trying to figure out a way to smoothly transition with a fade to black into the black BG text. 
  • Could you elaborate?
  • Try to create a fade in and out to text with a 100% black BG.
  • As in, solid black during the fade?  Place the black BG in a separate menu that has no transition.
  • ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh brilliant!