Forum rules - please read before posting.

Suggestion: Engine: Manage systems Action

Hi Chris,

after digging deeper in AC, I started to test switching off certain controls with the Engine: Manage systems Action, and later on, I thought it was a good idea to put this into an OnLoad ActionList to make sure all systems are running when the scene starts, as I understood that changes here are permanent until they are changed again?

However, putting everything to enabled was a bad idea, as it took me a while to figure out why my interactions menu was not working as intended anymore. When different interactions where availabe on a hotspot, I was not able to choose them with the mouse anymore, I could just click and the first one was executed. Choosing the other options was only possible with moving the character (I use Direct as movement method), which usually made the menu disappear :wink:

After a frustrating while, I figured out that I enabled "Direct-nav in-game Menus" in the Manage systems action, believing it was a manager system necessary to run the game (esp. Menus) :smile:

Maybe it would be nice to put a warning to this that this does not switch on or off a game system, like the other ones (except Change movement method) but alters menu behaviour?

Or even better, make it like the movement change, with a checkbox to make sure that this will only be set on intention?

The way it is now, it might be confusing, like it was for me :smiley:

Comments

• edited August 2020

believing it was a manager system necessary to run the game

A fair point, I can see how that could cause confusion - thanks for pointing it out.

make it like the movement change, with a checkbox to make sure that this will only be set on intention?

Sorry, can you elaborate here? I'm not too clear on your meaning.

• Sure, no problem.

Currently, the first point in the Action is a checkbox "Change movement settings", that you will have to check if you want to change "Movement method" to, say, Direct, oder Pont & Click.

Maybe you could do the same for the last option in the Action, "Direct-nav in-game Menus", maybe with the unchecked checkbox stating "Change Menu vehaviour?" one would have to check to access this option.

Sorry, I would have posted a screenshot, but currently have no option to do this :smiley:

• Thanks for clarifying.

The movement option's checkbox is there because of the lack of a "No Change" option, since the options it provides have to match those in the original Settings Manager field.

Having a similar checkbox for the menu option could be seen as superfluous since that is able to have a "No Change" option. Such an option would also have to be checked by default, to allow for backwards-compatibility.

I will give it some thought, however.

I would have posted a screenshot, but currently have no option to do this

The forum can't host images, if you need to in future I recommend uploading to imgur.com and pasting the links.

• I see, and I think a small hint or explanation line separating that option visually from the others would be totally sufficient.