Forum rules - please read before posting.

Voice Acting IDs

Dear Chris and Adventure Creator followers,
I was wondering how the SpeechIDs are assigned.
More specifically: are the numbers changing after some modifications or the ID will stay the same unless deleted?
For instance: I'm 80% of ENCODYA development now and I'd like to test the audio ID, by doing the Gather Text thing. I remember for the demo that once the text is gathered, an ID is assigned to each "Dialogue Speech" action of my game. But what I wonder is: if I delete some dialogue actions, or if I add new ones, are the old ID always staying the same? Or will they change as well every time I gather the text?
Since I'll have hundreds of audio files, I wonder if it's better for me to be 100% that all the dialogues are in place before assigning IDs or if I can do it right now, then doing again later without losing the old IDs...
Hope I was clear!
Thanks

Comments

• you dont loose the old ids unless you reset on the speech manager. when you gather text it keeps the old ids

the only problem would happen if you select merge duplicate lines, in that case if you delete the old speech the new ones would get a new id
  • Always be sure to back up your project first, but existing lines should retain their IDs provided that they are still present in the game itself.

What happens if you've since deleted lines or other texts will depend on the Speech Manager's ID number recycling property, which allows previously-used IDs to be assigned to a new line if its old line is no longer present. This is prevented by default, however.

• Very good, thanks a lot both for your reply!

• I've a couple of issues/questions with IDs and subtitles...

1)
    Basically I've an action list on asset (not on scene) which contains a dialogue. This action list is called via script from a menu UI. But when I gather the text from the Speech AC menu, it's not calculated... How can I solve the issue?
    The UI is a "public phone" with a keypad. If the number is equal to some var, then it launches the action list that contains a specific dialogue.

[...]
    public AC.ActionListAsset ActionListPuzzleNumber;
    [...]
    if (code == PuzzleNumber)
    {
    ActionListPuzzleNumber.Interact();
    }

2)
    I've also another request.
    I've some video cut-scenes. They are separated scenes that simply play an mp4 video. I would like to have AC subtitles on those videos, so they are handled by AC also for different languages, gathered IDs, etc. How can I implement AC subtitles on top of a video played through "Engine/PlayMovieClip"? I've searched the forum and there was something similar, but not exactly what I'm looking for.

Thanks a lot!
    N.

• Ah, one last thing...

3)
    If you remember in the past I mentioned the issue of handling audio files when having multiple players (i.e. each is called "Player"), so now on my AC dialogues I always put the prefab of my player rather than selecting "Is Player?". This is good for the CSV file because the associated object is now either "Tina" or "Sam" (my two main characters), rather than just "Player", however, in the "AudioFileName" column, it's still called "Player" (and not Tina or Sam). Why is this happening?

• But when I gather the text from the Speech AC menu, it's not calculated

AC will only gather text that it can safely assume is part of the game - so that old/unused/etc ActionLists are rightly ignored.

If you reference an ActionList through script only, you'll have to reference it in an "AC way" separately. Create a dummy scene, add an empty GameObject and attach an ActionList Starter component. Use it to reference the asset, and add the scene to the Build Settings. You don't need to access this scene in-game, but having it be part of the project will allow AC to find it during the "gather text" process.

How can I implement AC subtitles on top of a video played through "Engine/PlayMovieClip"?

You can either uncheck Wait until finish? in that Action, an then play speech lines after waiting appropriate amounts, but that would be a bit fiddly.

Better would be to use Timeline to play the video clip, and AC's Speech Timeline track to display speech at the correct time.

This custom Timeline track apparently also allows for video-player scrubbing in Timeline: https://gist.github.com/DashW/974a108bd98377bc1cd6b2f708699a52

• however, in the "AudioFileName" column, it's still called "Player" (and not Tina or Sam)

It may be a bug. Can you share screens of an Action that causes this, it's entry in the Speech Manager, and the rest of your Speech Manager settings?

• Sorry took me a while... been busy.
    So, here a screenshot where you can see a simple "Look At" at a hotspot, with a line of dialogue (and the prefabs assigned to the Speaker).
    As well as my Speech settings. And those lines as they appear in the CSV file (correct line, correct object, wrong audiofile named "Player" rather than "Tina" or "Sam).
    Screenshot: https://ibb.co/X2970rx

The good thing is that the IDs aren't overlapping. The bad things is that to arrange the files, both my players "Tina" and "Sam" appear under "Player" rather with their names and this cause lot of headache...

• edited September 2020

But I just noticed the "Use Player prefab name name in filenames?" so maybe that will solve it... Will try soon.
    I guess all of these were new things that you implemented some ago after my headaches with the demo of last year... eheh!
    So I didn't even know that (as well as the new "Player" features)

• But I just noticed the "Use Player prefab name name in filenames?" so maybe that will solve it... Will try soon.

Yes, that needs to be checked.